7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2006 1:50 PM by joeq

how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?

joeq Level 1
      i've read a lot of postings on popups in the archives of this forum and all the suggestions seem to entail using javascript – either in the swf itself or in its accompanying html document. seems like no matter which i try, it cant get past the intrepid blocking feature of safari. how do you all handle this? do you use the window component?

thanks.

(and just as an aside... many people have posted as a reply to questions regarding popups – and many, many other types of questions as well – "sigh... search the forums before posting". it should be noted that, while there are indeed scores of postings regarding popups, the vast majority have no replies.)
        • 1. Re: how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?
          Level 7
          "joeq" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:e5na13$t4e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > i've read a lot of postings on popups in the archives of this forum and all the
          > suggestions seem to entail using javascript ? either in the swf itself or in
          > its accompanying html document. seems like no matter which i try, it cant get
          > past the intrepid blocking feature of safari. how do you all handle this? do
          > you use the window component?
          >
          > thanks.
          >
          > (and just as an aside... many people have posted as a reply to questions
          > regarding popups ? and many, many other types of questions as well ? "sigh...
          > search the forums before posting". it should be noted that, while there are
          > indeed scores of postings regarding popups, the vast majority have no replies.)

I sure hope you can't find a way because if you can then everyone else can too. I don't want those annoying pop-ups on my browser
          like before. You can do the same thing without any pop-ups using movieclips anyway. You can even make a fake browser window as a
          movieclip if you want it to look like a pop-up. It's just not in another browser window.
          tralfaz

• 2. Re: how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?
            Level 7
            There are no replies because you can't bypass pop-up blockers - that would essentially defeat their
            purpose. I don't think anyone has found a way because I don't think there is one.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
            --> www.mudbubble.com
            --> www.keyframer.com

joeq wrote:
            > i've read a lot of postings on popups in the archives of this forum and all the
            > suggestions seem to entail using javascript ? either in the swf itself or in
            > its accompanying html document. seems like no matter which i try, it cant get
            > past the intrepid blocking feature of safari. how do you all handle this? do
            > you use the window component?
            >
            > thanks.
            >
            > (and just as an aside... many people have posted as a reply to questions
            > regarding popups ? and many, many other types of questions as well ? "sigh...
            > search the forums before posting". it should be noted that, while there are
            > indeed scores of postings regarding popups, the vast majority have no replies.)
            >
            • 3. Re: how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?
              joeq Level 1
              "You can do the same thing without any pop-ups using movieclips anyway. You can even make a fake browser window as a
              movieclip if you want it to look like a pop-up. It's just not in another browser window.
              tralfaz "

could you expand on this a bit please? thanks.
              • 4. Re: how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?
                joeq Level 1
                then maybe it's a semantics thing on my part – i'm not looking for anything that popups without the user initiating the action. maybe the proper term would've been "new browser window"? does that change the answer at all? thanks.
                • 5. Re: how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?
                  joeq Level 1
                  for example, this works fine for me in safari

http://www.actionscript.org/tutorials/beginner/PopUp_window_within_flash/index.shtml

while the text link in the "who we are" section here does not:

http://www.quintandquint.com/qandq.html

thanks.
                  • 6. Re: how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?
                    Level 7
                    There are so many ways that have been practiced for so many years - try going here:
                    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*flash*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

and searching for "pop up window" - should return about 11,000 threads (this is the entire archive
                    of this forum). I'm sure you'll find samples that suit your particular setup - and yes, using the
                    getURL command to call a little javaScript.

as for popup vblockers, you will simply have to test this yourself after you've implemented your
                    code - or better yet post the URL here and we all can test it.

hope this helps.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
                    --> www.mudbubble.com
                    --> www.keyframer.com

joeq wrote:
                    > then maybe it's a semantics thing on my part ? i'm not looking for anything
                    > that popups without the user initiating the action. maybe the proper term
                    > would've been "new browser window"? does that change the answer at all? thanks.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: how do you make a popup bypass popup blockers?
                      joeq Level 1
                      so what do you it is about this code that isn't working? (it's attached to text... and it also doesn';t work if i attach it to a button)

javascript:window.open('stuff/mq.html','undefined','width=526,height=358,scrollbars');void 0;