14 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 11:19 AM by Bill Gehrke

How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?

curiouscat951 Level 1

As above - I am currently editing tons of clips (100mbps, 4k XAVCS 24p) from my Sony a6300 with the following specifications:

Intel i5-2500k 3.3Ghz @ 4.7Ghz (1.4v) & CoolerMaster V6 Air Cooler

4 x 4Gb DDR1600 in Dual Channel

Gigabyte GTX660Ti 1Gb (Monitor running @ 1440p resolution)

2 x 512Gb Samsung 850 Evo SSDs (1 for OS/Programs, 1 for Footage)

2 x 3Tb Seagate 7200rpm HDDs (Exported & Archived Media)

Seasonic 620W PSU

Will upgrading to a GTX1070 improve my editing workflow? I only perform simple edits (trimming/transitions/3 vid+audio tracks) and want to be able to scrub through footage easily without transcoding first to ProRes.

If the GPU does not help with scrubbing, are there any future plans for Premiere Pro CC to include GPU-acceleration on these tasks (e.g. rendering/scrubbing)?

• 2. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
          curiouscat951 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I've read this article before, but it doesn't answer some questions:

1. Will rendering be accelerated on XAVCS codec from the a6300/a7 series?

[quote]yellow: The source media’s codec is computationally difficult (such as AVCHD). As mentioned above, only very few simple codecs don’t get a yellow bar; these include DV and DVCPRO.[/quote]

2. Why is rendering accelerated but not encoding/decoding? Don't they do the same things?

3. Will new video cards (such as the GTX1070) get supported unofficially when it is first announced? (just that it has not been fully tested/verified by Adobe)

4. Understand that GPU acceleration in Premiere Pro CC is highly dependent on the number of CUDA cores. In this case, will the Titan be faster than GTX1080, even though the 1080 is supposed to be faster (albeit with lesser cores)?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No one knows until a Premiere user can test one!  CUDA performance is not nVidia's high priority item.  We are hoping that Eric Bowen or some other computer builder might get one before we can buy one to give us the information on actual CUDA performance.

I can see a major difference Playing my XAVC S 100 Mbit/second timeline with and without GPU hardware acceleration with dropped frames on this laptop with a GTX 765M.  So scrubbing is GPU hardware assisted.

• 4. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
              curiouscat951 Level 1

"So scrubbing is GPU hardware assisted."

Can anyone else confirm this statement? Does that mean my GTX660Ti is insufficient/a bottleneck in scrubbing my XAVCS footage? I used HWMonitor to check, but GPU usage is not maxed out (perhaps 20-40% usage) when scrubbing.

I'll buy the 1070 in a heart beat if it can scrub my footage smoothly. Perhaps someone with similar specifications as me (but with GTX980/Ti) can advise me on his scrubbing performance.

• 5. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?

Let me tell you something else that might change my original conclusions.

What I based the above on was mixed media (three cameras, one XAVC S 4K camera and two AVCHD 1080 cameras.  It was a 4K timeline with the 4K media and two ACVHD 1080 medias and when I disabled the GPU acceleration the line above the 4K media turned red like this:

XAVC-S-test--wo-GPU.png

With the the GPU enabled:

XAVC-S-test--w-GPU.png

And in this case the GPU made scrubbing smooth as silk which was not the case without GPU assistance .  But another project with only 4K media there is no GPU utilization.  It must be that the GPU must be used in scaling while scrubbing  multi resolution timelines.

Sorry, for my incomplete  initial answer.

• 6. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You really will want atleast 32GB of ram and that 2500K will not be able to push the 1080GTX. It may help some on the latency but that system is no where near enough to make full use of the 1080GTX which is what your current 660Ti is showing. Yes GPU acceleration is used for realtime playback including scrubbing and the CPU along with only 16GB of ram is really your current bottleneck for the GPU acceleration. I would suggest upgrading the CPU, Board, and Ram before the video card.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
                    spnsir Level 2

Guys it's my guess that scrubbing is CPU-based especially with XAVC S when it's a LONG GOP codec (a7s). It is always choppy to scrub on my 3930K/GTX 760 while ProRes variations are very snappy, no choppiness at all. Is it just CPU or does the GPU play a role in scrubbing as well? I am probably wrong on some level here, please excuse my lack of understanding.

• 8. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
                      JFPhoton Level 3

....only certain operations are GPU accelerated in Premiere with the use of an NVidia GPU. These include scaling and certain effects.

In the case where it DOES accelerate the timeline, sometimes rendering previews,or, scrubbing may get a TEN TIMES improvement in performance vs. "software only " mode.

However, most video "encoding" and "decoding" is done by the CPU. Clock speed is king here, aided by the amount of cores in use and the amount of system memory.  Eric here has mentioned in the past that for 4K editing, a GPU should have at least 4 GB of DDR 5 video memory to allow for proper "frame buffering "

Make sure your CPU is overclocked to over 4GHz and that you have adequate system memory, 32 GB is good, and that your "project drive" is a fast volume.

• 9. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
                        curiouscat951 Level 1

The comments on insufficient RAM is interesting, because I've never exceeded 60% of total RAM usage when editing 4k XAVCS on my current setup.

Same goes for GPU, it is rarely fully used up.

• 10. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
                          RjL190365 Level 4

Guess what? If you run out of graphics RAM during a scrub or a render (as you might with a graphics card that has only 1GB of RAM), Premiere's MPE will switch automatically and ungracefully to software-only mode (no GPU acceleration) for the remainder of the operation. And you would never have known that the scrub/render is in software-only mode because Premiere will not even tell you that it had switched (the renderer will still indicate that it's still in GPU-accelerated mode). No wonder why your system's GPU is rarely utilized to its fullest extent.

• 11. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?

Adobe like many other editing/media  content applications use what system ram is available on the specific system as in dynamic to the amount of ram that system has. This does not mean Adobe wont use more. It will just use what you have available up to the setting in Premiere for example that sets ram left for other applications by default to 6GB which is why you only see 60% being used. That does not mean you wont get better performance especially with the GPU acceleration if you have 32GB of ram instead of 16GB. GPU acceleration runs through system ram for everything since the decoding starts at the CPU and then to system ram before shadowing to the GPU Vram and back again for final CPU encoding. The amount of system ram available also deciding how much data moves to the GPU at a time which translates to how much that system can push the GPU with the GPU acceleration. Adobe's current memory management profiles with Premiere and AE use a massive amount of system ram if available at 4K+ media. 16GB is normally enough for 1080 media as a starting point but 4K media really requires 32GB and you must have 32GB for decent performance if Dynamic link is used at all or expect performance to suffer.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?
                              curiouscat951 Level 1

On the GPU, we're talking about levels of 0-25% (or 50% in RARE cases). Is there any way to force Adobe to use up all then?

On RAM, I already set Premiere Pro CC to use the most of my RAM (3gb reserved only), but total usage is still hovering at 60%. 

• 13. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?

The ram usage is dynamic based on what is available. For example my simple AVCHD 4 layer project uses 21 to 24GB of ram on a system with 32GB of ram. If I only have 16GB of ram it uses 10GB normally at most. Same project. That is the concept of dynamic ram allocation. 4K media really requires 32GB of ram. I have tested this considerably. Just because Adobe doesn't use more with your 16GB doesn't mean it wont if you have more ram. Ram usage is dynamic with most applications and especially with media content creation apps. Otherwise the applications would crash when ever the project required more ram and the system did not have it.

Eric

ADK

• 14. Re: How much will a new GTX1070 quicken 4k editing (a6300)?

If you would like to see Premiere use almost I00% of the GPU download my Premiere Pro Benchmark (PPBM) and run the test which is the MPEG2-DVD with GPU hardware acceleration.  Here is my GTX 970 with 99% "GPU Load":

GPU-970.jpg