1 Reply Latest reply on May 14, 2016 2:42 PM by dj_paige

replacing a full hard drive with a new larger one

stevenr28692889

I have an external 500 gig hard drive that is now full.  I bought a new 2 terabyte new drive.  The original drive is set as the "e" drive and other things outside of lightroom recognize that as well.  Can I just copy all the photos to the new bigger drive and rename it the e drive?  Will lightroom recognize all the images, files and folders as if nothing has happened?

Or do I need to move everything over to a new drive in lightroom which will need to be labeled another letter?  I am using windows 10 and lightroom 5.  Thanks for any help and thoughts

• 1. Re: replacing a full hard drive with a new larger one
          dj_paige Level 9

stevenr28692889 wrote:

I have an external 500 gig hard drive that is now full. I bought a new 2 terabyte new drive. The original drive is set as the "e" drive and other things outside of lightroom recognize that as well. Can I just copy all the photos to the new bigger drive and rename it the e drive?

Yes! (As long as you keep the folder hierarchy identical, don't start moving folders or photos around within the hierarchy)

Will Lightroom recognize all the images, files and folders as if nothing has happened?

Yyes!

Side issue: external HD might work better with a letter near the end of the alphabet, which will most likely prevent Windows from changing the letter on its own, which can happen if you unplug the drive and then plug it in again later. If you want instructions on how to do this, let us know.