11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 9:44 PM by johnrellis

Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC

MissM2 Level 1

Hello, I was looking to learn if there was a way in Lightroom to see the same print size information you'd see if you went to 'Image Size' in Photoshop and found RC Concepcion's article: http://lightroomkillertips.com/using-print-dimensions-resolution/    For some reason, the dimensions are not showing the way they are in the article (attached. Maybe CC doesn't show this?) Under templates in Lightroom, I selected Maximum Size, and the size on the image shows as 5x10--but the image is actually 73x55--how can I get THOSE dimensions to show up?

*****************Why I'm asking******************

I manage my website, there are hundreds of images that I need the actual dimensions that would show if you looked at the Image Size dialog box in Photoshop. Thus far, I have been doing this: opening from Lightroom (at which time a copy is created because that's default and I sometimes make minor adjustments in LR) - JUST to see the image size--I have since tried to remember each time I save a file to add the dimensions, but before I had that epiphany(!) I just saved a standard filename. If I could simply see that image size information in Lightroom, it would save on time exporting to PS simply to get the size info, and I could make mods to the website much more quickly.

****************My question***********************

I have used the settings highlighted in the attached image in my LR. Is there some other setting I need to select to see the actual dimensions? Or is what I'm seeing on the image (5x10) the intended 'dimensions' data (meaning, what size do you wish to PRINT, not what size can this image print best---or more specifically, the information that would show when looking in PS at image size.)

Sorry that was a very long winded question. Hope it was clear. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 5.29.50 PM.png

• 1. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
          Bob Somrak Level 5

This clip and most of the others in the article are NOT direct Lightroom screen clips.  Lightroom does not display free floating panels like that and does not display dimensions in a white box.

• 2. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
            MissM2 Level 1

Bob Somrak-here is screenshot of the dimensions showing on my image--but I'm just wondering how to get the actual dimensions (in this case, 73x55") to show in the Print tab in LR.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 6.14.32 PM.png

• 3. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Are this images inteded for print, or for viewing on a website?

If the latter, you should use Export, and set pixel dimensions (not inches) in the export dialog.

• 4. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                MissM2 Level 1

Hi Per. They're ultimately for print--so rather than reopen the images in PS that I did not save as a filename including the image size, I was hoping to see that same information in LR. 

• 5. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                  Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

I don't use the print module, but generally, LR doesn't show you the printed size of an image (which depends on the ppi), it only shows pixel dimensions, which can be seen in the metadata panel in Library. If you want to know how big an image will print, divide the pixel dimensions by the ppi.

And you can of course set physical dimensions in the Export dialog.

• 6. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

I see what you are referring to now.  To get a different displayed size in the print module you will have to change your printer paper size to a LARGER value and change the print box size.

• 7. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                      MissM2 Level 1

Thank you, Bob Somrak. I changed the paper size to 100x100 (to see what would happen, and the dimensions on the image changed to 99x49. So it seems the answer is no, there is not a way to see the same information in LR that you would see in PS if you looked at 'Image Size'.

Screen Shot 2016-05-14 at 7.40.27 PM.png

• 8. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                        MissM2 Level 1

Thank you, Per, but I'm looking to get the data that shows in the PS Image Size dialog. It seems that can't be done.

• 9. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are correct. Your image when displayed in Lightroom is only reported in pixel dimensions. When you say that you snt the paper size to 100 x 100, that would indicate a size in inches. I question whether or not you have a printer that will print an image that large. However, I could be wrong. In Lightroom the best way to control the size of the print is to go into the Page Setup from the print module, which opens your printer control dialog. On that screen you choose the size of paper you want to use. Then, in the Lightroom print dialog, you adjust the margins and the cell size in order to obtain the print you want on the size of paper. With Lightroom, it is necessary for you to forget about print size when you are working in the develop module. Lightroom does not assume any PPI setting. It only reports pixel dimensions. All of your print size controls come into play in the print module when you are ready to print. The Page Setup Dialogue enables you to choose the paper size that you want. Then you use the Lightroom controls to adjust the size of the print. You just have to make sure you have enough pixels in your image to print the size print you are after.

• 10. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                            MissM2 Level 1

Hi Jim. Thank you for your response. I wanted to let you know that I am not printing. I was only looking to verify the image size **as is shown in Photoshop when looking at 'image size'** within Lightroom -- in the Print module of Lightroom.

I only set the paper size based on the comment referencing it, to see if my 75" actual size image would show those actual dimensions in the print module (alleviating the need to open PS to get that very data for the images I did not put that size info in the file name).

• 11. Re: Print Dimensions in Lightroom CC
                              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I just released the Any Crop plugin, which displays the dimensions of the current crop in pixels, inches, or centimeters.  Any Crop provides a number of other features requested by users as well.