5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 10:08 AM by Christo14

Master page numbers wrong when printing

Christo14 Level 2

I have compiled a 100+ page document in InDesign CC 2016 which I have printed on my Inkjet printer for proofing content.

In the document page numbers are correct - they are all coming from a group of master pages.

The printed document page numbers are fine up until page 57, then they randomly go all over the place for the remainder of the pages, only the last page number is correct.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

• 1. Re: Master page numbers wrong when printing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is not yet an InDesign CC 2016 released to the general public. If you are using a pre-release version there is a support network for that which you should be using. If that's just a typo, which dot release do you have, and what OS?

Do the numbers printed on the pages match the content (in other words, is the content printing in order and just the numbering is wrong, or are your pages printing out of order?)? Have you tried exporting a PDF and printing that?

• 2. Re: Master page numbers wrong when printing
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

There is no such as a version CC2016.

But I don't understand what is going wrong? Could you describe what is going wrong? Maybe a screen shot helps.

• 3. Re: Master page numbers wrong when printing
              Christo14 Level 2

Hi Peter,

Sorry, InDesign CC2015.

The numbers printed on the pages do not match the content (generally, but it gets weirder).

In some places the content is not even right. Eg, Page Heading (not a master page element) is different. In this case, page content may have moved, but the heading stayed in the correct place, or vice versa, and page number is in wrong place.

Actually, in some places it is hard to tell what is what; let's say I had:

1: A Master Page element (Auto Page Number)

2: A Custom Page element (Heading)

3: A Custom Page Element (Content)

All three could be wrong. I don't even know how that is at all possible!

I did a test Export to PDF and everything seemed to be in the right place.

Printing to an Inkjet printer directly from Indesign makes things go all over the place.

CY

• 4. Re: Master page numbers wrong when printing
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you installed the latest patch?

And see Remove minor corruption by exporting

Direct printing from InDesign is not a strong suit, some printer drivers seem fine, others no so much. PDF is the better option.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Master page numbers wrong when printing
                  Christo14 Level 2

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the late reply.

I didn't end up sending a photo of the document & screen shot as I was still working on the job and many changes were made by the time I was ready to.

I have found the easiest solution is simply to create a PDF file and print from that.