6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 10:43 AM by joseph motto

Why doesn't LR6 display all images in a folder?

joseph motto Level 1

I set up a folder called "owls." It had 71 images and all were displayed by LR. I added 86 images to the folder outside of LR. These images were copied from other folders. I then asked LR to import the images in that folder. All of the new images were grayed out and when I the click on the "owls" folder LR only displays the original 71. What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Why doesn't LR6 display all images in a folder?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Were the images you moved into the Owls folder already in the LR catalog from where they were previously?

• 2. Re: Why doesn't LR6 display all images in a folder?
            dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom is not a file browser. It doesn't know what photos are in a given folder, it only knows about photos that have been imported.

If you are seeing greyed out photos when you try to import, that means the photos were previously imported into Lightroom, and given your description, you have previously imported these photos into a different folder (probaby by accident, probably by selecting the COPY option when you import instead of selecting the ADD option).

So you need to find the photos in Lightroom's Library Module. You an find them clicking on "All Photographs" on the left and then by searching by file name. Once your find it, you can move the photos to the desired folder ... or better yet, organize by keywords so you can find the photos by keywords regarddless of whatever folder they have been placed in.

• 3. Re: Why doesn't LR6 display all images in a folder?
              joseph motto Level 1

Yes, the images that I moved into the "owls" folder had already been imported to another folder. If I work outside of LR I can have a barn owl image in its original Desert Museum folder and also in a second folder, i.e., "owls." But it appears that if that image is in its primary site, i.e., Desert Museum, and I copy and paste it into the "owls" folder outside LR, then LR will not let me view it when I open my "owls" folder in LR and there is no way to allow that to happen, correct?

I do keyword and I know that is the best way to find images and I do use that. I just wanted LR to show me all of the images I have in all of my folders and I guess that is not what LR is organized to do.

• 4. Re: Why doesn't LR6 display all images in a folder?
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I suggest you stop using the File system, Drives and Folder, for separating your images into different categories.

That way fine when all you work with is a File Manager, like the one included with the OS or Photoshop Bridge. But not when you are using LR.

This is LR's strong point. Have the images in only one location on your drive/drives, No Duplicates of images all over your drives, and use the Keywording and collections features for separating them into different categories and having the same image in more than one collection or have more than one keyword.

I can have the same image in 2 > 100 collections and have it show up with 2 > any number of Keywords. But it will always be that same image.

What happens if you edit one of those copies and then you can't find it.

If you want to do different edits to any image you can make Virtual Copies to try different things. Those doesn't add to taking up drive space and only shows in LR.

There is a way to have multiple copies of the same image in the LR catalog. In the Import dialog un-check the option to not import suspected duplicates. Or change the file name by one character or add a character like a number.

I personally only have one copy of every RAW files on my system and in the LR catalog. I also have virtual copies and the same images under a different file extension like images I have edited with Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Why doesn't LR6 display all images in a folder?
                  dj_paige Level 9

joseph motto wrote:

Yes, the images that I moved into the "owls" folder had already been imported to another folder. If I work outside of LR I can have a barn owl image in its original Desert Museum folder and also in a second folder, i.e., "owls."

This is the prefect reason why keywords should be used for organizing instead of folders. You can assign two (or lots more than two, there is no limit) keywords to the photo. This is one of Lightroom's strengths! There is no need to duplicate the photo so it can exist in two folders. There are many drawbacks to duplicating photos.

• 6. Re: Why doesn't LR6 display all images in a folder?
                    joseph motto Level 1

Thank you both for your assistance. I understand. I am not using LR in the fashion it was intended yet nevertheless I find it an extremely useful program and would be lost without it. Now I must decide whether to change my ways or continue in my errant ways. Thank you both again.