4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2016 4:34 PM by dtmacias

Library Duplications

dtmacias

I have moved over to Lightroom cc from Lightroom 5.7 and when I let the program install all the pictures that I had in my External Drive, it also included pictures from another external hard drive and the computer internal hard drive. That has increased the storage in my lightroom dedicated external hard drive, almost out of room.

Is there anyway to clear out all the duplicated photos? Do I have to start over and erase the current lightoom cc library?

• 1. Re: Library Duplications
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You need to explain exactly what you did after you installed LR CC.

By default after the install LR CC and you open LR CC for the first time it searches for and usually finds the catalog file from your previous install of LR. It then Copies the catalog file and converts that copy to a version that works with LR CC.

When that happens it does not copy any image files or create duplicates of them.

Did you let LR do that? Or what exactly did you do?

• 2. Re: Library Duplications
            dtmacias Level 1

Hello Just Shot Me,

I let Lightroom recover my photos, but I have three different sources that it pulled from that are connected through my computer to lightroom.

1.  C: Drive - Internal Drive

2. G: Drive - External Drive

3. J: Drive - External Drive

They all have photos that I have used with Lightroom and Elements before. G: Drive even has a back up from a previous External hard drive that was going out  that I backed up just to make sure that I had a copy of the pictures. C: Drive has pictures that I put into folders to send to be printed on the desktop. J: Drive is the drive that I designate for all new photos to be copied from  my cameras.

Hope that this helps in describing my situation.

• 3. Re: Library Duplications
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

dtmacias wrote:

Hello Just Shot Me,

I let Lightroom recover my photos, but I have three different sources that it pulled from that are connected through my computer to lightroom.

1. C: Drive - Internal Drive

2. G: Drive - External Drive

3. J: Drive - External Drive

They all have photos that I have used with Lightroom and Elements before. G: Drive even has a back up from a previous External hard drive that was going out that I backed up just to make sure that I had a copy of the pictures. C: Drive has pictures that I put into folders to send to be printed on the desktop. J: Drive is the drive that I designate for all new photos to be copied from my cameras.

Hope that this helps in describing my situation.

Why did you do that????

When you opened LR CC for the first time did it come up asking to convert your older LR catalog file?

The only version of LR that I know of that would search your complete computer for image files was the CC/6 2015.2>2.1/6.2>2.1.

Which included a DUMB, For Dummies, import window.

Otherwise you have to manually point it to drives and folders to display images for import.

Second mistake was selecting COPY in the import dialog window. You should of selected ADD. That would of left the images where they were and just imported them into the LR catalog, A Database file.

But you shouldn't of even done that. LR CC would of converted your older, previous LR version, LR catalog to one that works with LR CC.

All I can say is you are going to have to start over. Make sure you have the latest version of LR 2015.5.1/6.5.1

You will also have to manually delete all the copied image files. Do that with the File Manager, Windows/File Explorer.

Then just Delete that catalog file. You do that also with the File Manager with LR closed.

Do you have a catalog file from your previous version of LR?

• 4. Re: Library Duplications
                dtmacias Level 1

It looks like I will have to manually go through the pictures to see which ones to delete.

Thank you for the info.