2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 9:58 AM by Test Screen Name

Merging pdfs using java script

JonNeedsHelp30

Hello All,

I hope that someone can help me. I have a pdf document that contains 1928 pages that are a combination of 2 page packets. I need to insert a 10 page pdf after every 2 pages of the 1928 page pdf file. I have found multiple javascripts that can do this for inserting a blank page or just 1 page after a couple pages of a pdf. I think this code that I found in a previous post would work but I don't know how to modify it to meet my demands. If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. So in summary I'm trying to insert a pdf into another pdf after every 2 pages until the end of the pdf. Thanks so much!

//test if number of pages is odd or even and exclude last from count if odd
      var nmPages;
      if(this.numPages%2==0)
      {nmPages=this.numPages}
      else
      {nmPages=this.numPages-1}

//define path to pdf that will be inserted

var pth="/C/Users/<User>/Desktop/Blank.pdf"

//loop through pages and insert pdf after every even page

for(var i=nmPages-1;i>-1;i--)
      {

this.insertPages({nPage:i,cPath:pth});
      i
      --;
      }

• 1. Re: Merging pdfs using java script
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What happens when you try the code?

• 2. Re: Merging pdfs using java script
            Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I haven't examined your code in detail, but I can tell it suffers from a problem common to "insert after/delete every Nth item" programs. The problem is that the action of inserting the page(s) will affect the pages in the document. So let's suppose the original document has pages A B C D E F ... and the new one has pages Z Y X W V U ...

The easy way to code this will go

A B C D E F ...

A B Z Y X W V U ...C D E F ...  

A B Z Y Z Y X W V U ...X W V U ... C D E F ...

A B Z Y Z Y Z Y X W V U ...X W V U ...X W V U ... C D E F ...

and so on. To overcome this the easy way is to START AT THE END NOT THE BEGINNING.