6 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 1:54 PM by Big Swifty 23

Switching to Lr from Aperture with a Managed library import question.

Big Swifty 23

Greetings,

First post. Finally making the switch from Aperture and have been reading up on the details of how. I have a managed library on Aperture and know that Lightroom only has a referenced option. Do I first need to (in Aperture) change my library to referenced before importing into Lightroom, or can I just import and Lightroom will take care of the rest? Hoping and trying to make my library structure as far as 'projects' and the like transfer over as similarly as possible, so any advice on how to make that happen would be much appreciated as well.

Came across some good info online, but sometimes too much info makes things a bit confusing for me since I'm not a computer guy. What I've done so far (in Aperture) after having made sure everything is backed up is to write the metadata to originals (Metadata > Write IPTC) and will be importing my Aperture keyword list into Lightroom. From what I've read, the Lightroom plugin to import from Aperture will take care of the rest.

For various reasons I'm excited to be leaving Aperture behind and am looking forward to learning and using Lightroom.

• 1. Re: Switching to Lr from Aperture with a Managed library import question.
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think LR will bring in your untouched masters (referenced) or untouched duplicates (managed) which might be a good starting point, if you are looking to start over.

It may be better to export versions from Aperture, with IPTC metadata to the desktop, or better still, to regular Finder folders. Then import those duplicates to Lightroom. So you gain the benefit of any editing already done in Aperture plus all the metadata; such as tags, captions, titles etc.

Once you are happy with LR, you could trash the Aperture Library or drag it to an external drive for archiving.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Switching to Lr from Aperture with a Managed library import question.
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Big Swifty 23 wrote:

Do I first need to (in Aperture) change my library to referenced before importing into Lightroom, or can I just import and Lightroom will take care of the rest? Hoping and trying to make my library structure as far as 'projects' ....

You don't have to, but there are advantages to changing your library to referenced before importing to Lightroom.

One is disc space. Lightroom makes copies of all managed photos and puts them in date-based folders, so you would need double the disc space. With referenced photos, the default is to make copies - but there is an option for Lightroom to use the originals in their referenced locations. See http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-beg in/  for more info on that important option.

A second advantage, in a way, is that it allows you to preserve your existing folder structure - which may be by project, if that's how you reorganised Aperture. However, as part of the import process Lightroom translates Aperture projects into Lightroom collections. So do you really need project-based folders? Folders are a pretty blunt way of categorising photos, after all.

So the main advantage is space, and I recommend you switch to a referenced Aperture library and use Lightroom's option to import photos at their original locations.

• 3. Re: Switching to Lr from Aperture with a Managed library import question.
              Big Swifty 23 Level 1

Thank you both for responding. It's not vitally important to me that everything transfer over structure wise 100%. As long as there's some semblance of what I have in Aperture I'm happy. I have enough space on my hard drive but would rather not straight up make another copy of everything, so it sounds like I should switch to a referenced library first. Do I need to concern myself with the subfolders when switching to referenced, say by making subfolders based on projects which are in folders named by year? So many options. Looking elsewhere on web for answer to this as well. Also about to read the above provided links.

One other question. I have some photos on a 32GB card that I haven't loaded onto Aperture yet. Is there any difference as to downloading Lr first and setting up a library using those 32 GB of images to set up a library and then dealing with the transfer of all the images from Aperture, or is it better to first make images currently available in Aperture available to Lr and then add the new 32GB of images?

• 4. Re: Switching to Lr from Aperture with a Managed library import question.
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have new photos, I would suggest importing straight into LR. In fact, going forward it could be a good strategy. Even though Apple is no longer supporting Aperture, presumably you can still export or print etc.

You could then use LR, as needed, and as JB suggests, by experimenting with projects or events.

• 5. Re: Switching to Lr from Aperture with a Managed library import question.
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your project organisation will come over reasonably well, if not perfectly, so I would suggest using dates as the structure for your referenced library.

The advantage of importing new photos into Lr is that you will be much more familiar with Lr by the time you import your Aperture library. Equally, however, you would learn plenty by importing from Aperture now and simply moving on.

• 6. Re: Switching to Lr from Aperture with a Managed library import question.
                    Big Swifty 23 Level 1

Again, thank you both for the suggestions. Was always planning on importing anything new straight into Lr and don't have any sense of urgency to move older stuff over from Aperture. As much as I enjoy Aperture I feel finished with it and for now just want to move my images over to Lr instead of working in Aperture.

Thinking it might be best to bring things over bit by bit, year by year, project by project, however. Currently I have folders for every year and then projects within that are named after places and months. Everything that's a landscape gets put into the May '16 Landscape project.

Figure it would tie up my computer less if I imported a smaller amount into Lr at the end of the night for several nights instead of doing it all at once. More importantly, importing directly into Lr would give me some practice and familiarity before importing everything from Aperture. Just was curious if there were reasons to choose one way over the other.