9 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2016 12:23 PM by trshaner

"Reanalyze" under lens correction

ugarit

I am not sure if anyone has encountered this particular issue, but it seems that sometimes and under certain conditions which I haven't been able to identify the "Reanalyze" feature of lens correction cannot be undone by clicking on "off". I am using Lightroom CC 2015. Any suggestions from the community? Has anyone encountered a similar issue? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi ugarit,

Have you tried resetting the Lightroom preferences back to default.

Press the shift + option keys immediately after you restart Lightroom, and select Reset Preferences from the resulting dialog box.

Let us know if that helps.

Regard,

Mohit

• 2. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction
            ugarit Level 1

Thanks for replying, Mohit. I closed Lightroom, then immediately after I reopened it I pressed shift+option, but nothing seems to happen beyond the normal opening of the software. I use Mac Mini with OS X 10.10.5 operating system.

farras

• 3. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ugarit wrote:

sometimes and under certain conditions which I haven't been able to identify the "Reanalyze" feature of lens correction cannot be undone by clicking on "off". I am using Lightroom CC 2015.

To "undo" Reanalyze you should be using Edit> Undo or CTRL +Z keys. Not sure what you are trying to do, but clicking on OFF in the Lens Corrections> Basic panel will remove ALL of the Upright adjustments in that panel. More here: Upright’s “Reanalyze” Option in Lightroom « Julieanne Kost's Blog

• 4. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction
                ugarit Level 1

Thank you for clarifying. However, under normal circumstances, clicking "Off" undoes, reverses, the profile correction. However, once "Reanalyze" is activated, it is no longer possible to reverse the step, whether by clicking "Off" (which should normally work) or, as you suggested, via Edit>Undo. I believe this is a bug in Lightroom.

• 5. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction

ugarit wrote:

However, under normal circumstances, clicking "Off" undoes, reverses, the profile correction.

If you are referring to the Lens Profile settings in the 'Profile' tab they are not affected by ANY of the controls in the 'Basic' tab. If you change the Lens Profile Distortion setting it will cause Reanalyze to become active. If you then click on OFF it will reset all of the Upright transforms applied in the Basic tab, but not the Lens Profile or Manual Transform settings.

I did notice that when you first apply any of the Basic Upright functions it resets all of the Manual tab's Transform settings except for Distortion. If Distortion is set the Reanalyze button activates after applying any of the Basic Upright functions. This appears to be a bug.

CORRECTION: Upright automatic perspective correction in Lightroom

At the above link,"Enabling profile corrections based on your camera and lens combination is highly recommended, before processing the photo with the Upright modes."

Because of this Adobe has chosen to NOT reset the Transform tab's Distortion setting. This allows using that control to fine-tune the lens profile Distortion setting, or correct images that don't have a lens profile (i.e. JPEG images).

If you're doing something else please describe in full-detail the exact sequence and control settings you are applying that's causing the issue.

• 6. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction
                    ugarit Level 1

I am not referring to the 'Profile' tab. I suspect I'm not explaining myself. Let us label the image that needs perspective correction as image A. Let us further assume that Lightroom recognizes the lens used (that's "Profile"), and "Color" and "Manual" tabs are left untouched and unaltered. In other words all Upright correction is performed under the tab "Basic" only.  Now, let us apply "Auto" to image A. The resulting image B may be, under certain conditions, improperly corrected, with "Reanalyze" activated. Suppose I decide to "Reanalyze" image B, and obtain a new image C as a result. This is where the issue manifests itself. Should I not like the resulting image C, I often cannot reverse to image A, can only move back to image B, whether I do it via "Off" or Edit>Undo. This sounds like a bug to me. Thank you.

• 7. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction

ugarit wrote:

all lens correction is performed under the tab "Basic" only. Now, let us apply "Auto" to image A. The resulting image B may be, under certain conditions, improperly corrected, with "Reanalyze" activated.

Reanalyze should NOT be active after applying 'Auto' Upright. It should only become activate if you change the Lens Profile or Manual Transform Distortion settings. Can you upload a file that exhibits this issue to Dropbox? Export the original file to DNG format, which will contain all of your LR settings.

• 8. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction
                        ugarit Level 1

Great. Here's the Dropbox link to an image showing the issue in question:

Dropbox - _NYC0039.dng

Clicking on "Auto" prompts "Reanalyze" to activate, at least on my version of Lightroom CC (2015.5.1, Camera Raw 9.5.1)

• 9. Re: "Reanalyze" under lens correction

It looks like Reactivate is going active due to Upright failure. Upright requires defined horizontal and vertical orientated "edges" to apply corrections. When I opened your DNG file on my Windows 7 LR CC 2015.4 system Upright Auto applies <1° of rotation to level the horizon. When selecting OFF that tiny amount of rotation is removed and no other transforms are applied. What are you seeing?

BTW the only thing Upright should do with this image is Level the horizon by ~0.25 degree (tiny amount). This is difficult to do "perfectly" with Auto Upright since the left side has no well-defined horizon line. I would "level" this type of image manually using the grid or guide overlay.......or not bother at all.