7 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2016 9:44 AM by declanm91633287

I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu

declanm91633287

I have PE 12 for mac, and have a 21.5" iMac with 4Gb RAM and 1TB hard drive.  I have asked questions on here before about DV footage.

I have a 1hour 20min timeline, and have used scene markers to go to the movies in the timeline.  There are 11 movies in the video.  The markers are at the beginning of the scenes in question.  On some of the later scenes I am getting about a second of the previous movie before the start of the current movie.  I have been doing extensive testing of PE 12 in order get my DV footage imported correctly.  I eventually decided to use LifeFlix to get the tapes imported.  When I was testing DVD creation, I didn't find this second of the previous movie coming in to the current movie problem.  The problem seems to be less pronounced when playing on my DVD player than in VLC or the Apple DVD Player.  I am using DVD Widescreen Dolby Preset for the DVD.  I had made an earlier DVD using menu markers with the result being 11 main menus.  I decided to abandon this approach.  Both DVD's have the same second or so of previous clip before the current movie.

I tried to put stop markers into the DVD to replicate what I had with Pinnacle Studio, but this resulted in a DVD folder with an "error" at the making folder stage, and a DVD with half the menus black but for buttons.  I had added blank frames between scenes when adding the stop marks, as advised by ATR, but this failed.

I would like to use stop markers again, but the second or so previous clip problem is more pressing.  Sometimes the previous screen is less than a second, and doesn't have picture, just sound.

Never had this trouble with my previous program.

I have also had "Unknown error 2131042562" when writing a normal DVD with the project and the "Fit contents to available space." checkbox ticked.  I also got this when trying to write to a normal DVD-RW disk, to test the DVD for the "Previous movie" problem as stated above.

My burner is a USB 3 Litton Blu-ray burner.  This has worked flawlessly since I bought it.  I also used TDK DVD's that I have been using for a number of years with no problems at all.  I wrote a data DVD today with no problems.  I also wrote the contents of a DVD folder to disk, after generating an image using Disk Utility and this worked successfully, I produced the same DVD using the "Burn" software successfully.

Again I have never has such problems in outputting videos to DVD before.

Your help much appreciated.

• 1. Re: I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you zoom into one of these scene markers on your timeline and post a screen capture of that segment of your timeline to this forum?

Since you're using stop markers to return the viewer to main menu after each segment, I assume you've also got black video between each segment so that there is a second or two between the stop marker and the next scene marker. Is that correct?

• 2. Re: I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu
            declanm91633287 Level 1

I did have a blank frame between the stop marker and the screen maker, but I got rid of all the stop markers when I was getting errors in producing a DVD folder, and the DL DVD I produced had black menus for the later scenes.  I still have the bit of the scene before appearing when I select a scene.  I totally reset the menus after the stop marker problem, which has improved the performance of the program when dealing the menus.

Here is the screenshot.  The marker is directly on the beginning of one of the problem scenes.  When you select the Bell Tower scene you get about as second, less of the previous scene with the blue lake.  There is no audio here.  Some of the other scenes have a small sound but no video at the beginning.timeline.jpg

• 3. Re: I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu

And you still see a frame or two of the previous scene when you add a second or two of black between each scene?

• 4. Re: I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu
                declanm91633287 Level 1

Taking the video folder with stop markers out of the trash and using VLC I can defiantly see a bit of the old scene when playing a new scene, even though this folder had stop markers and a frame gap between scenes.  These gaps were gaps in the timeline without any video.  This causes an error to occur with the folder generation, and half the menus are black.  The last visible menu has entries that don't work.  After the black menus are encountered, it is impossible to go back to working menus.  I can try adding deliberate black frames to the video to see if the previous frame starts when playing the current frame.  This shouldn't cause the error since the timeline is continuous what this method, rather than discontinuous with the other method.

• 5. Re: I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu

You should never have video gaps on your timeline! That will cause errors.

Any space between clips should be filled with Black Video clips, created by selected the option under the Panel Options (upper right corner) on the Project Assets panel.

• 6. Re: I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu
                    declanm91633287 Level 1

Adding 12 frames of black video before the scene marker for the scene in the screenshot appears to have solved the problem.  The other markers after it weren't altered and so have stayed where they are and the scenes have shifted.  Maybe get rid of the black video and re-make all the shifted markers and hope for the best, this should solve the problem? Not only is the black video stopping the previous scene appearing, but the correct scene is starting immediately.  The black video is evident in the scene before the current scene when played.

• 7. Re: I get about a second of previous movie when selecting scene in DVD menu
                      declanm91633287 Level 1

I managed to get a DVD produced with 5 frames of black video between the scenes I wanted.  The Black Video made sure that the menu markers worked!  The started at the beginning of the relevant scenes.  I have never had to do this before in any program.

Adding stop markers didn't work.  The menu markers would go to a point a half second or a second before the required scene, like having no black video.  I have tried all sorts of things to solve this, even copying the project using the Project Archiver and opening the copy, but to no avail.  I really don't know how ATR managed to get stop markers to work.  I even added 12 frames of black video between frames with stop markers at the beginning of the black video and the scene marker at the end.  This didn't work.  I get nothing out.  The program appears to create a folder, but there is no error message and no folder at the end.  It writes date to folder far quicker than normal when using stop markers.  Also the 12 frames of video don't work I think.

I have given up on stop markers.  The normal use of the menus seems OK.  Other programs like Apple Compressor have this type of menu structure.

Note using 5 frames of black video locks the menu markers successfully.