6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 3:47 PM by y0mily

how to move two shapes at the same time using the pen tool

y0mily

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 12.03.13 PM.pngI have been trying to merge groups 1 2 and 3 together, so they can be manipulated together. I have grouped them, and merged them, but when I try and move them with the pen tool they move separately. For my project, I need to be able to change the shape of 12&3  using the pen tool, how would I go about doing this?

they started off as a vector diagram from illustrator, I'm merged them on there and imported them, but they still move separately.

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: how to move two shapes at the same time using the pen tool
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You did not merge anything in AI, you just grouped them, which is a different thing than genuinely fusing paths with Pathfinder operations. Hence you get pretty much what is expected - a bunch of shape layer groups. You also need to understand the difference between actual shape paths and transform groups. You have gaps in your knowledge of both programs that are as big as the Grand Canyon and need to read up on this stuff. In any case, unless you actually give your file a proper workover in AI, the behaviors won't change.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: how to move two shapes at the same time using the pen tool
            jasontcox Adobe Community Professional

Perhaps a bit harsh...? I'm not quite sure you can qualify their knowledge as having "gaps... as big as the Grand Canyon" from one question. It's responses like this that will scare people away from the forums. We're hear to help, not insult.

• 3. Re: how to move two shapes at the same time using the pen tool
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Clearly, there are enough other things scaring users away from this forum...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: how to move two shapes at the same time using the pen tool
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are working with multiple masks and the pen tool you use the Ctrl/Cmnd key to change the pen to a selection tool that looks like a smaller white inverted V. You can drag a selection around multiple points on a path then hold down the shift key and select more points on another path. Once selected you release the Ctrl/Cmnd key and when you hover near a selected vertex the selection tool again appears but this time it is a smaller black inverted V. Click and drag.

If you want to transform those points then all you have to do is press Ctrl/Cmnd + t when they are selected and you'll actually get a better transform paths tool than you get in Illustrator.

This is basically how the pen tool works in Illustrator if you select the direct selection tool in AI (the a key) and then the pen tool (the p key) and use the Alt/Option to switch to the convert vertex or the Ctrl/Cmnd to direct select points.

BASIC editing masks stuff covered in the help files and explained in the community resources if you type editing masks or edit shapes or pen tool in the Search Help field at the top right corner of AE.

If you are using multiple shapes on a single shape layer you can do the same thing providing the shapes are bezier or rotobezier curves.

If the shape paths or the masks are on separate layers you are out of luck. There is no way to edit multiple paths on different layers at the same time. I wouldn't expect there to be a way to do that. Here is a short demo:

• 5. Re: how to move two shapes at the same time using the pen tool
                  y0mily Level 1

Mylenium

Mylenium,

I merged them using the pathfinder in Ai actually.

I thought the point of this forum was to give constructive feedback...?

• 6. Re: how to move two shapes at the same time using the pen tool
                    y0mily Level 1

thank you, this was very helpful