11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 9:30 AM by Tooslow2007

Lightroom folders, structure going crazy

Tooslow2007 Level 1

Hi, I have an occasional problem with the way LR6 represents my Windows (10) folders. I have a root folder "Photos" with all of my photos under that. My basic folder organisation is by year with sub folders under each year. I import my photos into a folder outside of this structure and drag the ones I want to keep, after editing, into the folder structure. Once in a rare while LR does something crazy. I think the best way to explain it is to show you;

Notice that 2016 folder right at the top, outside of the "Photos" folder structure? And LR really does think it's a different folder to the 2016 folder further down. That one photo in the rogue 2016 folder is not in the real 2016 folder.

Any ideas on what's causing it / how to stop it happening again / how to get that one photo where it belongs and kill off the daffy folder? I've tried to drag it, I've tried deleting and re-importing. It keeps appearing in the rogue (i.e. doesn't really exist) 2016 folder.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi John,

Does the Duplicate Folder 2016 actually exists on the "Our Data D:" drive?

Remove the empty Folder in Explorer and restart Lightroom.

You may also refer a similar thread  Why is Lightroom creating duplicate folders?

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From what I see, there are no photos in that "rogue" folder. When setting up your import destination, you need to be certain that you have chosen the 2016 folder within your folder structure, and then specify a subfolder for your specific import. I find that it is easy to overlook setting the destination properly. And I think you just slipped and created that extra 2016 folder. But according to the photo count, there are 0 photos in that folder so you can just go ahead and delete it.

• 3. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
              Tooslow2007 Level 1

No, it doesn't exist in Explorer. If I look at photos in Explorer it shows the contents of the two "2016" folders, just as I would expect.

Thanks for the link but I don't think it applies.

I didn't import into the 2016 folder. I imported into a folder outside of tis structure, edited and then dragged into the 2016 folder.

:-(

John

• 4. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
                Tooslow2007 Level 1

Sorry Jim, I took that screen shot at a point where I was deleting the rogue copy and trying things. Whatever I do I end up with the new photo in the rogue 2016 folder, which doesn't really exist. If I try to copy from the rogue 2016 to the real, LR refuses saying that the photo already exists there.

Thanks,

John

• 5. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
                  Tooslow2007 Level 1

OK I just tried;

Use LR to delete photo from catalog and disk.

Remove rogue 2016 folder

looking ok so far.

Use Explorer to copy photo into 2016 folder.

Use LR Import, Add to add photo.

Rogue 2016 folder appears with one photo in it.

Grrr.

John

• 6. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy

If you highlight the rogue folder when it contains the one image, can't you simply drag it to where you want it to be? Then you should be able to delete the folder. The only reason I can see for that folder to exist is that you chose to create the 2016 folder when you were outside of your normal photo folder structure. And that is all controlled when you are setting up your destination.

• 7. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
                      Tooslow2007 Level 1

Excuse me rambling on to myself but I have found a work around and it may help someone else at some point. It isn't a solution, I have no idea what has been going on and I am concerned that it will happen again, so any ideas gratefully accepted;

I right clicked on Photos and used "Create folder inside Photos". I created a folder called 2017. This gave me a new, empty folder in it's correct place in the folder structure. I then selected the rogue 2016 folder and could see only the single photo in there. I dragged this into the 2017 folder. Then I removed (with LR) the rogue 2016 folder. Then I dragged the one photo from the 2017 folder into the 2016 folder (doing this with my fingers firmly crossed of course thus doubling the probability of finger trouble) and.... IT WORKED!! Whooppee!

Just to be tidy I used LR to Remove the temporary 2017 folder.

So all is now ok but what the heck happened and I am concerned it will happen again. Fortunately the photo concerned was not one of any consequence.  

Thanks for the suggestions. ANy further thoughts welcome.

John

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy

That's one way to work around the problem. The next time you import make sure you choose your 2016 folder in the right-hand panel of the import dialog. Then specify a subfolder and give it a name for the specific import. Then that subfolder will be created within the 2016 folder that has your other images.

• 9. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
                          Tooslow2007 Level 1

"If you highlight the rogue folder...". 'fraid not. LR says that the photo already exists in that folder, which, of course, it does.

"The only reason I can see for that folder to exist...". No, didn't do that, honest. I simply dragged to an existing folder. I didn't ask LR to create a new folder so how would it know what I wanted to call it? I can see that I might have had finger trouble on one occasion but I have gone through and through trying to sort things out and being ultra careful at every step of the way. I just don't have an explanation.

Thanks for the ideas.  I don't think this is going to join the Mary Celeste but I do suspect that it will remain a mystery.

John

• 10. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
                            Tooslow2007 Level 1

Actually Jim I think I misunderstood your earlier post. I took it as "could I drag the photo" but you meant (?) could I drag the folder. I hope I don't find myself here again but, yes, that would have been worth a go, drag dud 2016 folder to good. I'd probably have ended up with a 2016 folder with a 2016 folder under it. But maybe not. I don't think this is a good day for me to buy a lottery ticket  :-)

John

• 11. Re: Lightroom folders, structure going crazy
                              Tooslow2007 Level 1

Solved!! Thanks to Jim Wilde. It is a case problem in the folder names. I bought a new pc and rebuilt my folder structure on the new pc slightly wrong. I used an upper case D in Data, old pc had "data". This only showed up when I hovered over the folder name in LR. I'd been checking Properties where no problem showed. Anyway, see

LR imports into a "shadow" copy of the folder | Photoshop Family Customer Community

for full details.

John