13 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 5:45 AM by camilaf3199346

HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?

camilaf3199346 Level 1

Let’s suppose I have a 100 page document that I want to be able to print as either single side pages, or if need be print as double sided pages with a different master applied to the odd vs. even pages. Is there a way to quickly apply a master page to just the even pages rather than typing all the pages out 2,4,6,8,10,12,14…100 or rather than ctrl+shifting all the even/odd pages and then applying the master?

I have been looking for this resource in the “Apply master” dialog box and the only option i find is “all pages” surprised me. It does not work if I type to apply to “even pages” or “odd pages” only. .

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The short answer is no, but the longer answer is you could cheat, as long as you don't have any overridden master objects.

Make two masters. They can both be two-page spreads, and for one use the same configuration on both left and right sides for single sided output, for the other use your mirrored (or other) configuration that you need for two-sided printing.  Now you can apply one master or the other to all pages.

• 2. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you set it up as facing pages, you can use a two-page master.

• 3. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It also can be scripted, but you would still have to watchout for overridden items. If you are using OSX try this AppleScript—uncheck change odd pages to change even pages:

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 6.29.32 PM.png

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set l to name of every master spread of active document

set d to make dialog with properties {name:"Masters"}

tell d

tell (make dialog column)

set m to make dropdown with properties {string list:l, selected index:0, min width:250}

set o to make checkbox control with properties {static label:"Change Odd Pages", checked state:true, min width:150}

end tell

end tell

show d

set s to item ((selected index of m) + 1) of every master spread of active document

set c to checked state of o as integer

destroy d

repeat with i from 1 to count of (every page of active document)

if i mod 2 is c then

set applied master of item i of (every page of active document) to s

end if

end repeat

end tell

• 4. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                jane-e Adobe Community Professional

The correct way is with a double-sided document with a two-sided master. Is there a reason that does not work for you?

• 5. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                  Dan Rodney Adobe Community Professional

Here's a tricky thought. Let's say all your pages are based on A-Master:

- Make two more masters (B & C) with your two different layouts.

- Base the A-Master's left page (which is used for even pages) on B-Master to achieve one layout, and then change it to be based on C-Master for the other layout. How do you base one master page on another master? Click on the master page to select it (in this case just the left page), then Option-click another master page.

Changing the left page of A-Master will end up changing all the even pages in your whole document! Hey, it's one interesting approach

• 6. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                    Doc Maik Level 4

Since master pages can be nested, I'm achieving what you want by assigning a dummy master page and then can switch to other master page layouts simply by dragging them onto the dummy.

That, of course, implies to use two dummy master pages for odd and even page numbers, like when using facing pages. A document can be switched between separate and facing view quite easily.

• 7. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                      camilaf3199346 Level 1

I've already tried doing this way. The problem is that I cannot set up them as facing pages (or spreads) because their margins are different.

As we're developing a book, we applied different margins because of the book spiral.

This way, our margins originally are:

MASTER PAGE A (left)

master page A.png

MASTER PAGE B (right)

master page B.png

We cannot change margins and when pages are set as spreads, they have the same margins in both sides.

I don't know if you can understand me, I'm trying to explain it as easy as possible.

Thank you all!

• 8. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?

Of course you can set mirrored margins for facing pages. You would set the outside margin to 1 cm, the inside to 2 cm.

You can even do it after the fact.

• 9. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you set up a new document (or chose document setup) and select Facing pages the dialog changes to Inside/Outside.

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 8.04.05 PM.png

• 10. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                            Pariah Burke Adobe Community Professional

We cannot change margins and when pages are set as spreads, they have the same margins in both sides.

That's what facing pages is for. It automatically swaps the Left and Right margins on left- and right-read pages.

• 11. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                              camilaf3199346 Level 1

That's the thing. How can I set up mirrored margins?

Because it's still not working for me. My document is a book, with many chapters.

Sometimes an INDD starts with a front page and sometimes with a back page, as it is a double-sided document.

Every time I apply those masters and then I generate a PDF (a book), margins get repeated...

I think I won't be understood, maybe this won't solve in my case...     

• 12. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?

Is the file set up as facing pages (you need to check the box in Document Setup)? Once that is done you should have no trouble setting mirrored inside/outside margins, though if you need to do this after the document has been created you will need to select the master page and use Layout > Margins and columns to do it rather than the document setup dialog. Be sure you have enabled Layout Adjustment (from the Liquid Layout panel menu) first.

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: HOW TO APPLY MASTER PAGES TO EVEN PAGES ALL AT ONCE?
                                  camilaf3199346 Level 1

My file is already set as facing pages and etc.

I think this detail of checking Layout Adjustment was what I was missing.

That's how my margins are now set up:

Image 001.png

Another thing: in Pages panel it wasn't enabled "allow document pages to shuffle". Maybe it has messed up and duplicated margins, because there were the same margins twice sometimes. And that's not what I want, I want left page and right page have different margins... Now it is apparently working...

Image 002.png

Thank you, Peter. I will keep testing here and then I'll see if it has worked.