4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2006 9:34 PM by Newsgroup_User

Click to activate?

Stabes
      Why is it that whenever I hover over a Flash animation (in IE) it puts a white square around the Flash thing and says Click or press space bar to activate? Shouldn't it be activated already??
        • 1. Re: Click to activate?
          Level 7
          If you are viewing a web site, you cannot do anything to fix it, except
          complain to the web master

Here is a link to find information on how to fix your website to cope with
          the activeX active content changes:

http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com?q=activecontent+IE+ActiveX+Change
          --
          Jeckyl

• 2. Re: Click to activate?
            Stabes Level 1
            Sorry... should have checked lower down the group to find an answer!
            From a completely non-tech. ordinary user perspective, it looks like MS basically just completely isolated (if not trashed entirely) any Flash used in sites. I mean, who actually wants to go through all the hassle of either, clicking twice, or trying to work out how to stop this ridiculous behaviour. Unbelievable.
            • 3. Re: Click to activate?
              Level 7
              MS was forced into doing this due to a patent lawsuit by Eolas - don't blame MS - search google for
              "active content" - literally millions of links to info about this.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
              --> www.mudbubble.com
              --> www.keyframer.com

Stabes wrote:
              > Sorry... should have checked lower down the group to find an answer!
              > From a completely non-tech. ordinary user perspective, it looks like MS
              > basically just completely isolated (if not trashed entirely) any Flash used in
              > sites. I mean, who actually wants to go through all the hassle of either,
              > clicking twice, or trying to work out how to stop this ridiculous behaviour.
              > Unbelievable.
              >
              • 4. Re: Click to activate?
                Level 7
                > From a completely non-tech. ordinary user perspective, it looks like MS
                > basically just completely isolated (if not trashed entirely) any Flash
                > used in
                > sites. I mean, who actually wants to go through all the hassle of either,
                > clicking twice, or trying to work out how to stop this ridiculous
                > behaviour.

Note that the change affects ALL activex controls .. including Microsoft's
                own controls.
                MS certainly did not want to do this .. but they were forced to in order to
                not infringe on the (stupid) EOLAS patent.
                --
                Jeckyl