5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 10:39 AM by robert_1e

New L. catalog removes all my Files from Lightroom

robert_1e

Hi,

I have a big problem.

Normaly I have my files I work on, in the Libary, under "folders". Just before I wanted to creat a catalog and everything messed up!

I go to file and open a new catalog

Create a new folder

Now Lighroom, does not shut down, but it seems to. The LR. Window goes down, then, after 3 seconds, LR comes up again.

It starts with the welcome window for mobile cloud sync.

But the worst part, "ALL" my Folders and Files are gone!!! Like if I did install everything new.

I will install LR new, but what happend here?? My RAW files are ok, but all the settings are gone now!!?

Rob

• 1. Re: New L. catalog removes all my Files from Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

I go to file and open a new catalog

If you open a new catalog, none of your previous work is in the new catalog. This is normal. (Why were you opening a new catalog, anyway?)

If you want your previous work, go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog listed there until you find the catalog with your work.

• 2. Re: New L. catalog removes all my Files from Lightroom
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The behavior you are describing is completely normal. If you create a new catalog it won't have any images, or any of your previous work. It is a new empty catalog. Your images are not "in" Lightroom. The catalog is a database that points to where your images are stored on your computer. There really isn't a need to create a new catalog. A single catalog is much easier to manage.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: New L. catalog removes all my Files from Lightroom
              robert_1e Level 1

Thank you for your fast responses and advice!

I like to try, to manage my further photo-projects with the catalog.

I understand that there are no images available before I create the catalog. But I have another problem:

Before I did create a cataloge the first time, I had my image-database under: Folders and Collections. I had about 12 different folders and photo projects with different LR Settings.

Yesterday I did create the first time a catalog. And after that, all my folders and photo projects are gone!They are deleted (out of the database LR)

Everytime, when I try to open a new catalog, hapens a process, where all my work will be removed out of LR!

• 4. Re: New L. catalog removes all my Files from Lightroom
                dj_paige Level 9

I like to try, to manage my further photo-projects with the catalog.

Especially for beginners, the advice is to keep everything in one catalog. Use keywords or other metedata to separate projects. There are few benefits, and significant disadvantages, to multiple catalogs (one such disadvantage you have already run into).

The instructions to find your photos in Lightroom were given earlier. Did you try these instructions??? "Go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog listed there until you find the catalog with your work"

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: New L. catalog removes all my Files from Lightroom
                  robert_1e Level 1

I just hope there will no other benefits pump up, like this one!

Yeah, but it didnt work. When I have more time to try out, I will go over the catalog again. For now, I like ur suggestion to organcie by keywords.

Anyway, thanks for your advice dj_paige