5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 6:14 AM by Test Screen Name

Which OS X versions will run InDesign CS6 properly?

Gerben Wierda Level 1

Adobe's CC subscription model is extremely expensive for my kind of use. I have a single document (book) that I wrote in 2012, created an Edition 2 in 2014 and now will go for an Edition 3. The rest of the time I do not use InDesign at all (I do use Adobe Acrobat Pro CS6 reguarly), maybe very seldomly if there is a really ugly fix to be made and a new 'print' needs to go out. Hence, I want to stay on CS6, CC is not an option. If I use CC, the problem is that if I have to do a fix, I cannot open it with CS6, so I become very dependent on CC. That means I have to keep on paying, even if I don't use it.

Now I'd like to know what the latest OS X version is that runs CS6 properly. It runs on Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), it seems. However, I probably have to upgrade to El Capitan in the coming period. I have read some comments that make me think that CS6 does not run well on El Capitan. Is that correct? Is Yosemite OK? If so and I have to upgrade to El Capitan, I'll keep a machine around running Yosemite for the occasional use of ID CS6.

• 1. Re: Which OS X versions will run InDesign CS6 properly?
          Derek Cross Level 6

Don't get in a tizz! You can subscribe to InDesign CC2015, which runs under El Capitan and subscribe by the month, so you only pay for InDesign when you need it. That's just £17.15 in the UK for example - that won't break the bank and you have access to all the new InDesign goodies!

• 2. Re: Which OS X versions will run InDesign CS6 properly?
            Gerben Wierda Level 1

I have investigated that and it is not really useful. It means that every update I would incidentally do would cost me a month's subscription. If it was really pay per use (per day) I could consider this because it is low risk. But not per month. I use InDesign very sparingly, but I use Acrobat Pro regularly.

I might do CC, I can even get a good deal for the coming year (at ±2 months fee), but the problem lies afterwards. Then my document is in a version that cannot be opened in CS6 (for which I have bought a perpetual license in 2012). I'm then bound to CC and not free to do what I want. If I don't pay, I cannot even open my own documents. That I find unpalatable. I don't like the risk profile. I've been thinking about using CC and at the end of the project save it back to CS6. But I worry if that will be relatively painless.

Anyway, I can just keep on using CS6 and maybe someone can answer the actual question I asked instead of telling me to go to CC. Just assume that I am not going to CC, what are my options with CS6 on the Mac?

• 3. Re: Which OS X versions will run InDesign CS6 properly?
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello Gerben,

from my personal experience, InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 is running well on OSX 10.10.
              From a lot of reports I've seen here and elsewhere OSX 10.11 ( ElCapitan ) is not the way to go.

Hope, that helps.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Which OS X versions will run InDesign CS6 properly?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Bottom line: If you move to El Capitan, be prepared for a world of pain with CS6.

You can’t upgrade an operating system in a vacuum; especially on Mac where Apple doesn’t give a rat’s behind about backward compatibility.

• 5. Re: Which OS X versions will run InDesign CS6 properly?
                  Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

Sticking to old systems and apps, TOGETHER, is wise. Beware of this: new hardware will get you too. New Macs can only ever run the Mac OS newest at their release. High resolution monitors need software support in Adobe apps. So bear in mind you need to stick to old systems, apps, computers and other hardware. As computers fail you may need to buy an antique.