9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 11:04 AM by johnrellis

Windows 10 or not?

briana37624619

Was about to update to WIN 10, but have read all the serious issues LR 6 users are having with this.  The fixes seem unusually difficult and awkward...so I am sticking with Windows 8 for now.   (The whole reason I bought the PC is to scan and manipulate slides and negatives.)  Any advice? 

• 1. Re: Windows 10 or not?
          dj_paige Level 9

I'm sure there are many people who are running LR 6 on Windows 10 without problems. Even though you have read that there are serious problems, how many people have serious problems? I don't know and you don't know. The only way to find out if it works for you is to try it.

I chose not to upgrade because everything seems to work properly for me — LR 6 on Windows 7. For me, I chose the zero effort solution.

• 2. Re: Windows 10 or not?
            briana37624619 Level 1

You make a valid point......  reading about problems  is not a random sampling.  But right now I am leaning toward your simple yet somehow elegant solution.  

• 3. Re: Windows 10 or not?
              F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have updated from W7 to W10 and so far LR works flawlessly.

I'm still sure W7 was the best Windows so far and can understand everybody staying on W7. However, if I were on W8/8.1 I would not hesitate to upgrade to W10.

• 4. Re: Windows 10 or not?
                dj_paige Level 9

briana37624619 wrote:

You make a valid point...... reading about problems is not a random sampling. But right now I am leaning toward your simple yet somehow elegant solution.

Well, thanks, but in my mind it was really the lazy solution.

• 5. Re: Windows 10 or not?
                  whsprague Level 4

I upgraded three family computers from 7 to 10.  There was not a single difficulty.  All previously installed software, including Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC, Adobe CC updater, Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements, work as expected. 

If millions update and 50 have a "problem", a forum can appear crowded with complaints because that's where the 50 will seek help.

Bill

• 6. Re: Windows 10 or not?
                    briana37624619 Level 1

From what I've read,  all of the problems have been with people using LR 6...and updating from Windows 8 to Windows 10.  I've got a friend that uses LR CC and also had no issues.

• 7. Re: Windows 10 or not?
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If the operating system you are now using is working for you why upgrade.

Stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

I have Windows 10 running in a virtual machine, on a Windows 7 system, for testing purposes.

IMHO Windows 10 doesn't include anything I need or is needed to run the programs I use on a daily basis.

If and when a program that I need won't run on Windows 7 I will then upgrade to something newer. Whether that be 8.1, 10 or whatever comes out next is up in the air.

• 8. Re: Windows 10 or not?
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

briana37624619 wrote:

Was about to update to WIN 10, but have read all the serious issues LR 6 users are having with this. The fixes seem unusually difficult and awkward...so I am sticking with Windows 8 for now. (The whole reason I bought the PC is to scan and manipulate slides and negatives.) Any advice?

Windows 10 "fixes" many issues that Windows 8 introduced. If you aren't experiencing any issues, don't need any of the new features in 10, are happy with 8 then why update? I'm still using Windows 7 for these very reasons. I helped a friend after updating to Windows 10 who was lost with the new interface . He only did the upgrade because it was FREE and is now regretting it. The free upgrade ends July 29, 2016 so it would be more economical to make your decision before that date.

I don't think you'll have any LR issues that can't be easily resolved with help from this forum. The decision should be based on whether you'll be happy with the new User Interface and other changes introduced in Windows 10. Since you're already on 8.1 that shouldn't be a big jump.

• 9. Re: Windows 10 or not?
                          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I use LR on Windows 10 occasionally with no issues. For the record, there are two confirmed issues with Windows 10 upgrades I've seen here, both easily addressed:

- Windows 10 has a nasty habit of replacing any color profile assigned to your display with the manufacturer's profile, which LR sometimes chokes on.   You simply need to remove that profile and replace it with the previous one you were using, or recalibrate if you use a calibrator, or assign the sRGB profile.

- Windows 10 may install different display drivers, which can trigger problems LR 6 has with its attempt to use graphics processor of your graphics card.  You fix that by updating your graphics driver from the manufacturer, or by unchecking Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor.