11 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 7:07 AM by Peter Spier

Links - check relative first

jacquilynw Level 2

If I have a photoshop document with some linked smart objects in a folder in the same folder as the PSD file, when I copy that parent folder photoshop understands that oh I should get the ones with this document, not the old stuff. Indesign on the other hand has no concept of this. It only goes looking if everything broken. This makes moving between the two programs in the same project very confusing because one will update everything and other won't.

And yes I do need to copy things as I go. I am required to preserve all previous revisions of my projects, and at times need to present multiple of them them with no notice.

So call this a feature request: have indesign look for links relative to the indd file before checking the absolute path. Though then definitely check the absolute path, there are so many times where that is helpful.

• 1. Re: Links - check relative first
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

So do you currently use »Relink to Folder« to direct Indesign to the new (folder of) images?

• 2. Re: Links - check relative first
            jacquilynw Level 2

All the time.

• 3. Re: Links - check relative first
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

Maybe you could automate the task with a Scripting approach.

Otherwise have you sent in an »official« feature request yet?

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 4. Re: Links - check relative first
                Level 1

If you place your images in a folder called Links (with a capital L), Indesign should look for those images in priority. It can be in the same folder as the Indesign file, or in a parent folder.

If this doesn't suit your needs there are indeed scripting solutions. You can batch reassign links by doing a find / change operation in the file paths to replace the version number or something. If you are interested I can fetch a working .jsx from my scripts when I'm back at the office.

The way I manage versions is a bit different than yours. I make copies of files inside my Links folder when I modify them (you can have sub-folders for each version if your document is very big), and I make copies of my Indesign document (or simply create another page if it's a single-page document). When The job is over I delete unused indesign documents (unless I want to keep some interesting versions for later use), relocate the definitive document, got to the links panel, embed every links and immediately unembed them to relocate them easily in the same location as my indd file. Then I can either dump the rest of the images to the bin or choose to archive some interesting ones as well and why not embed them in the related indesign files to make them more portable (beware that they will be harder to find if you don't remember in what project or version you have used them. Very often, having a filename to look for in your files system if more helpful, but multiple versions can also pollute your search results and make you select a wrong version of a file by mistake).

• 5. Re: Links - check relative first
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

adobe01a65700054 wrote:

If you place your images in a folder called Links (with a capital L), Indesign should look for those images in priority. It can be in the same folder as the Indesign file, or in a parent folder.

This is not correct. InDesign links are absolute, not relative, so ID always checks the embedded link path first. If the program fails to find the link in that path, then it starts a search in the folder where the .indd is stored, and any sub-folders of that folder.

• 6. Re: Links - check relative first
                    Level 1

Hi Peter,

We must be both wrong to some extent because if what you say were true, I would be in trouble. I often rename my folders when a job is done in order to add the reference of the bill (which obviously renders the absolute paths obsolete). Indesign finds my images. I have relied on this just few days ago to merge 200+ packages which all had the same images in their respective Links folder. I simply deleted every one of them but one, which I placed in a common parent folder. Indesign found my images auto-magically without asking me to relink for each indd file, (which was a relief).

I could be biased because I always put my images in a folder called Links and it is possible that I have once relinked an image to a parent folder and that in some way Indesign used it as a hint or something to fin missing links in other indd files.

I wish Indesign gave more options to link files manually though. Sometimes automation works against you, especially when you don't know exactly how it works.

• 7. Re: Links - check relative first

I can think of two possibilities for why you have no problems. If you run the package command, one of the options (enabled by default) is to relink to the copies of the linked files in the links folder created in the package folder.

The other possibility is you moved the files int a Links folder in the same folder as the .indd file. As I mentioned before, if ID cannot find the links in the original path, it will search the current folder and subfolders.

• 8. Re: Links - check relative first
                        Level 1

Peter,

I have reorganised the files this way:

- Links

- image 1

- image 2

- image 3

- native files

- subfolder 1

- indd 1

- indd 2

- indd 3

- subfolder 2

- subfolder 3

- proofs

I'm asked to update the images preview when I open a document for the first time but that's it.

• 9. Re: Links - check relative first

adobe01a65700054 wrote:

I'm asked to update the images preview when I open a document for the first time but that's it.

And do you have to manually point ID to the Links folder to do that update? If so, that "update" is changing the links in your file to the new locations.

• 10. Re: Links - check relative first
                            Level 1

Of course not. Indesign askes to update because the image file it's linked to probably doesn't have the same modified date in the metadata as the one it was originally linked to or something lie that.

• 11. Re: Links - check relative first

Well, what path is shown for the links in the links panel link information?

To the best of my knowledge, ID does not search up-stream of the folder holding the .indd file, but that may have changed in CC.