1 Reply Latest reply on May 19, 2016 1:30 AM by Rick Gerard

How do i use an Sapphire effect only on a certain part of clip instead of the entire clip

rofikig47050848

Im currently using a trial of Adobe After Effects and i downloaded the plugin Sapphire and im using one the Sapphire effects but i dont want the effect to be used during the entire 2 minute video im making. I only want the effect to be on a certain part of the clip and thats it. The effect im using is called Zapform i also wanted to know how do i mask the effect to like certain things in the clip? If anyone can help me out please itll mean alot. Thankyou!

• 1. Re: How do i use an Sapphire effect only on a certain part of clip instead of the entire clip
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You solve problems in After Effects by using layers. You have three options here.

1. If you clip fills the composition panel and has no transparency so you can see nothing below the clip add an adjustment layer above your clip, set the in and out point of the adjustment layer to cover the part timeline where you want the effect, add your effect and then animate the opacity of the adjustment layer to fade the effect in and out.
          2. If your clip has transparency or does not fill the entire frame then you can set the CTI (current time indicator) to the time where you want the effect to start and then split the layer using the keyboard shortcut Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + D, then you can move the CTI to the time when you want the effect to end and split the layer again. Pick the middle copy of the clip and apply the effect. If you want to fade the effect in and out then drag the out point of the layer below to extend it to the end of the fade and animate the opacity of the clip on top.
          3. If you are using the a version of CC that allows you to control an effect with compositing options then you can simply animate the effect opacity by setting some keyframes. You could even add a mask to make the effect only happen on a certain part of the layer.  Here's what that would look like using glow on a text layer. Compositing options became available in CC 2014

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 1.27.20 AM.png

1 person found this helpful