8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 10:11 AM by Colin Holgate

animated symbol to timeline

technov1king1

Hi, i've made a animation inside a symbol.. So i presume the timeline of the symbol is indepent of the timeline of the main canvas?
      Inside the symbol i can play the animation, but back on the main canvas.. i drag drop the symbol onto it and start the animation, nothing inside the symbols plays..  Why is that? And how should i do it correctly?

Actually i want to make a animation with multiple scenes, but i understand the scene functionality is not availble with html5...

• 1. Re: animated symbol to timeline
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

are you testing in the ide or in a test environment?

is your symbol a movieclip or a graphic?

your symbol is added at what keyframe and removed at what keyframe?

and yes, you cannot use scenes in html5.

• 2. Re: animated symbol to timeline
            technov1king1 Level 1

I dont know what you mean with ide or test enviroment, im just working inside adobe animate cc....???

I have some very ancient knowledge of flash and i am trying to pick this up and preferable in a responsive website.

Yes it is a movieclip. I'm hoping to use these as a replacement for scenes in a multiscene animation.

But for this question, i have a short wave animation of half a circle.

I try to drag and drop in on the work canvas, but nothing happens.

I tried to set some keyframes to start, but nothing...

• 3. Re: animated symbol to timeline
              ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

Just to be clear, you're actually running the page (Ctrl-Enter), correct? Not just dropping it on the stage in the editor and thinking it will start animating right then and there?

• 4. Re: animated symbol to timeline
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you must click control>test movie>in browser (or use a shortcut for that), to test.

• 5. Re: animated symbol to timeline
                  technov1king1 Level 1

Is an animated symbol only visible in the final webpage? Not inside the editor of animate???

Strange?

Can the framerate differ from a movieclip and the final canvas?

And what is the difference between html5 en webgl? I've noticed the scenes functionality is available there..

When should i choose for webgl and when for html?

• 6. Re: animated symbol to timeline
                    Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you want to scrub the timeline and see the animation happening, you would make the instance be a graphic, and make sure there's enough main timeline to match the duration of the animation. Then it would look the same when scrubbing or testing.

If you want a single frame that has a whole scene's worth of animation in it, you would make it be a movieclip. To see it animating by scrubbing you would need to go into the movieclip, and scrub its timeline.

About WebGL and Canvas, there are several deciding factors. Here are some example advantages and disadvantages:

WebGL advantages

Can give very good performance animation, even if a large area of the screen is changing

Can do scenes

WebGL disadvantages

Harder Javascript syntax

Unique animation frames could fill up GPU memory quickly

Would require iOS 8 or later

Canvas (using CreateJS) advantages

Very similar to AS3 syntax

Can use spritesheets to reduce the number of files that have to download

Can use mask layers

Canvas disadvantages

Complex scenes can use up all RAM on lesser devices

BTW, neither can do Stream audio sync, so if you're making an animation that will become video, or for desktop users, or for mobile apps, you should use AS3 and not HTML5.

• 7. Re: animated symbol to timeline
                      ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

Colin Holgate wrote:

WebGL disadvantages

Harder Javascript syntax

Canvas (using CreateJS) advantages

Very similar to AS3 syntax

Err, WebGL and Canvas both use JavaScript (which is more like AS2 than AS3).

• 8. Re: animated symbol to timeline
                        Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Does the WebGL library include all the movieclip control that CreateJS does?