1 Reply Latest reply on May 20, 2016 3:37 AM by kerrishotts

Windows Application using PhoneGap

anandp71065094

Hi,

I am new to PhoneGap or rather say new to Hybrid Mobile Application. I just want to know the following things

1) Is it mandatory to have Windows Operating System for developing Windows 8 Mobile application by using PhoneGap or any OS(like Linux, Mac etc.) will work?

2) Only Microsoft Visual Studio is required as IDE for development of the Mobile Application or any other IDE( Android Studio, Eclipse etc.) will work.

3) If Windows OS is not required then how to create , build, and run the Windows Mobile Application in Linux (Ubuntu).

Thanks and Regards,

Anand

• 1. Re: Windows Application using PhoneGap
          kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

1) Is it mandatory to have Windows Operating System for developing Windows 8 Mobile application by using PhoneGap or any OS(like Linux, Mac etc.) will work?

PhoneGap Build doesn't care what operating system you're using to create your app. PGB will need to know how to sign your app, so be sure to review http://docs.build.phonegap.com/en_US/signing_signing-windows.md.html#Windows%20Signing

2) Only Microsoft Visual Studio is required as IDE for development of the Mobile Application or any other IDE( Android Studio, Eclipse etc.) will work.

Since your app will be HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, the IDE you use is largely immaterial. It depends on which editors you feel most comfortable using. I use a combination of VIM and Visual Studio Code. But I've used many others in the past, and in the worst case, you can alway use notepad or the like.

3) If Windows OS is not required then how to create , build, and run the Windows Mobile Application in Linux (Ubuntu).

You will:

1) Create your application code on your machine, following the format specified by PhoneGap Build. If you haven't reviewed the documentation, now is a good time to do so: http://docs.build.phonegap.com/en_US/introduction_getting_started.md.html#Getting%20Starte d%20with%20Build

2) Upload your app to PhoneGap Build. Be sure to provide your Windows signing information, but you'll only have to do this once.

3) Build your app using PGB

4) Install the app on your phone using the link/QR code provided by PGB.

If you only need access to the core plugins, you might consider using the PhoneGap Desktop & Developer apps. This lets you test your app without having to go through the build process, and also lets you quickly reload your app after changes. There are some big edge cases that you have to worry about, but I still find it very useful in my workflow.