8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 9:05 AM by Addie_TM

Best way to fake a colored box behind text?

Addie_TM Level 1

I am working on a large document and want to have certain chunks of text stand out with colored backgrounds. Since this is a living document that will see significant changes on a pretty regular basis, I'd like to have all the text flow together without actually breaking it up into separate boxes. Is there a way with rules or shading to get this effect? (See image below--the gray boxes is what I'm trying to replicate.) I tried shading but in order to get the color above the first line of text, the color goes outside the text box, which makes for complications with reflow if that text ends up starting at the top of a page. I don't want to use any inset spacing on the text box itself, because it won't be applicable to all the text within that box. I'd love any suggestions!

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 1.07.46 PM.png

• 1. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you looked at the new paragraph shading feature? You might have to combine it with Rule Above and Below to get the extra height.

• 2. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
            Addie_TM Level 1

I tried shading, as I stated in my original post. If I want the color to go above the text (to look like it's inset), then the color goes outside the text box. I put a paper colored rule above, but then that rule starts eating into the lower colored boxes. I still can't quite get the right combination to make it a style that will work for the first box as well as the boxes below.

• 3. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
              Addie_TM Level 1

Also, the paragraph rules are not a great solution because some of those gray boxes will have two or three paragraphs inside them. I know I could use a different style for the secondary paragraphs, but I really want a simpler solution. This document and others in the same series I am working on (nearly 60 in total) will be sent out to a translation company for translating into 9 other languages. I want to make things easy for them and to leave as little room for error as possible.

• 4. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There is not going to be a single solution for all cases. I would use rules the same color as the shading above and below, and use space before or after to separate paragraphs where necessary.

• 5. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
                  Addie_TM Level 1

If I use rules above to emulate a top inset, they also go outside the text boxes. I think what I really need is a way to "space above" the text that will also put space above it if it's at the top of a text box. As far as I know though, there's no way to do that in ID.

• 6. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
                    Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

If you really want to do this, it's easily and quickly doable! 

Capture d’écran 2016-05-20 à 00.27.53.png

(Only one story!)

• 7. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
                      fenjas29325284 Level 4

If I use rules above to emulate a top inset, they also go outside the text boxes. I think what I really need is a way to "space above" the text that will also put space above it if it's at the top of a text box. As far as I know though, there's no way to do that in ID.

I'm not sure, where you exactly want the space above: inside between headline and rule or outside between rule and standard text.

a) Enlarge the space between the headline and the rule and keep the shading:

In the headline paragraph style use Paragraph shading > Offsets > Top: enlarge and Paragraph rules > Offset: enlarge

b) Enlarge the space between the upper rule and the standard text:

In the headline paragraph style use Indent&Spacing > Space before

Since Obi-wan Kenobi showed the effects of his brainstorming only, but hid the styles, I tried to find a way to combine all your wishes. I need 4 styles, but the user has mostly to use 2 of them only ( Stylesheets Title & Last-Paragraph).

Because English isn't my native language i made an *.idml file (newest InDesign for Windows) where you can study the styles and possibly you can find an even better solution.

IDML file

ID-textshading.png

Fenja

• 8. Re: Best way to fake a colored box behind text?
                        Addie_TM Level 1

Thank you very much, I'll see what I can do with these ideas!