18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2016 12:43 AM by vasilikyk24422484

Workspace disappears

Larstown

Since some months my personal workspace disappears every now and then when I leave InDesign to work in some other program and then go back to InDesign again... (I have tried to understand when it happen and not, but I can’t find any pattern.)

So when I get back to InDesign my toolbar is gone.

And the only way to get my workspace back is to 1) choose the presetTypography workspace – and then 2) choose my personal workspace.

And YES, I have tried to delete the preferences.

(I have even deleted the whole InDesign program and reinstalled it from scratch.)

This drives me crazy.

• 1. Re: Workspace disappears
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please start by telling us what InDesign version (exactly) you're using and what computer OS version, thanks.

• 2. Re: Workspace disappears
            Larstown Level 1

Hi Steve,

Sorry (I just have it in my profile):

ADOBE PRODUCTS / SYSTEM INFORMATION

InDesign 2015.3 release / 11.3.0.34 build

Photoshop

Illustrator

Lightroom

(All in latest versions through Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams)

Max OSX (latest version)

El Kapitän 10.11.4

• 3. Re: Workspace disappears

The fact that your workspace disappears when you switch to another application makes me think that there's some third party utility or application that's interfering.

Try rebooting and launch InDesign before any other application and see if you can get it to happen before launching anything else. Then watch as you load other applications.

• 4. Re: Workspace disappears
                Larstown Level 1

Ok, I'll try to check that...

But it still seems strange, I run a very "clean" computer with very few programs or plug-ins.

Usually I only use Adobe Creative Suite, FontExplorer, Microsoft Office and Google Chrome... (And maybe Spotify.)

L

• 5. Re: Workspace disappears

And this happens in all your files? Not a particular one?

• 6. Re: Workspace disappears
                    Larstown Level 1

Yes, it's a general InDesign problem... not for any special file.

And when the windows (like the Control window that I have placed at the bottom of the screen) disappear, I can't just choose my preset Workspace right away. Then it won't show.

So I must first choose another preset workspace, like the Typography Workspace - then I can choose my own preset and it looks like it should.

• 7. Re: Workspace disappears

There are two ways to reach the workspace: The Workspace menu on the Application Bar, and Window > Workspace menu. You can't reach it from either one?

• 8. Re: Workspace disappears
                        jane-e Adobe Community Professional

Longshot, but have you tried pressing the tab key to see if that brings back your panels?

• 9. Re: Workspace disappears
                          Larstown Level 1

Yes...

• 10. Re: Workspace disappears

Is that yes, Tab does bring back your panels?

If so, that might be what is making them disappear. Tab is the shortcut to hide and show your panels.

• 11. Re: Workspace disappears
                              Larstown Level 1

Yes, I have no problem changing workspaces, the only problem is that when I get out of InDesign and back again the control bar has disappeared (and not every time, just like every second time). And I can't get it back by pressing alt-cmd-6 or tab, I need to choose another preset first (that has the toolbar visible) and then I can choose my own preset.

It all worked fine until an update like a year ago.

And I have had my personal Workspace settings ever since it was introduced in InDesign way back, so it must be some recent conflict, either inside Indesign, or – as you say – with some other program. But that would be quite a strange problem if like Microsoft Office would make your control bar in InDesign invisible...

I'll do some more tests with other programs closed to see if I can find any connection...

• 12. Re: Workspace disappears
                                Larstown Level 1

No, it means "yes, I have tried that option..." I tired both tab and alt-cmd-6 and to open it from the window menu.

Nothing works except choosing another workspace with the control menu and then go back to my personal preset...

• 13. Re: Workspace disappears
                                  Larstown Level 1

I mean... I have worked in InDesign since version 1.0 in the late 90:s... so I know stuff like delete your presets and pretty much all the old tricks. (Even to "zap the PRAMS..." hehe. So i even tried to reset the VRAM – I know it was a very long shot for this problem – after doing a full reinstall of InDesign and manually resetting all the presets and preferences...)

L

• 14. Re: Workspace disappears

Drat. I was hoping for something really easy. As I said, it was a long shot.

If you have a second user account on your computer, you could try it there to rule out Steve's idea about third party applications.

Here is a quick-fix / band-aid to make it just a little easier.

Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and create a New Set.

Product area: Window Menu

Scroll to Workspace

Create two keyboard shortcuts:

one for the 7th Default Workspace (Typography)

one for 1st User Workspace

In my example, Ctrl + Cmd + 3 will load my first user workspace.

Will that at least make it less painful until a solution is found?

• 15. Re: Workspace disappears
                                      Larstown Level 1

Thanx jane-e! I will try it... :-)

(Just need to deliver som urgent jobs first and I don't dare take any risk to create more problems at this moment... even if this is very annoying InDesign is still fully functional.)

• 16. Re: Workspace disappears
                                        vasilikyk24422484

I can't believe that's all it took after searching everywhere on the topic. I was working and suddenly it was gone. Not the first time. You have saved me so much time and aggravation! Thank you so much for this little bit of knowledge that translates into huge time loss.

• 17. Re: Workspace disappears

Hi Vasilikyk,

I had to go back and re-read the thread from May! (I truly understand urgent jobs and needing to wait—I operate the same way...)

To confirm, was it the shortcuts to switch workspaces that I suggested on May 19 or was it another post?

Happy that you are saved both time and aggravation—that's always a good thing.

• 18. Re: Workspace disappears
                                            vasilikyk24422484 Level 1

It was actually just pressing the tab key that brought back the InDesign Workspace/Tool-menu bar at the top of the page. I must have hit the tab key without realizing it.

I had searched everywhere for the topic. Had figured it out once months ago, but had no idea the tab key would do the trick. Nice and easy.

Thank you again!

Bess (Vasiliky)