5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 2:04 PM by Jenthinkso

Why is LR 5.7 using 10GB Memory?

Jenthinkso

I have 16GB memory, i3 processor, Big honking GPU (not that it matters), running LR on SSD, photos stored on WD Black internal, Wd external, and Seagate external drives. Somehow ended up with duplicates in my files, so I've been going through and marking every 2nd photo for deletion, deleting, then moving the folder from Seagate drive to newer WD Black internal drive. Why would these actions use 10GB of memory? LR runs slow. (I have a solid state drive and WD Black, which is supposedly designed for photography) I have freezing issues too, especially when re-cropping a photo that has been cropped several times. I'd appreciate it if someone out there could help me solve these issues, please.

• 1. Re: Why is LR 5.7 using 10GB Memory?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i3 Processor is a little weak even with 16 GB of RAM.

Lightroom on SSD is fine, but it won't speed up Lightroom performance.

• 2. Re: Why is LR 5.7 using 10GB Memory?
            Jenthinkso Level 1

I am appreciative of your taking the time to answer my question, but after throwing money into my system this way and that to try to get LR to perform better, I am skeptical. Is LR REALLY going to straighten up and fly right if I upgrade my processor?

The i3 is the weakest part of my system, but is it really weak enough to warrant such terrible performance from LR? Especially considering the quality of the rest of my components?

Why won't a SSD speed up Lightroom performance? I thought a SSD was recommended for that reason.

So you're saying that if I upgrade my processor, LR will finally run without freezing, lagging, and using tons of memory? If that is what it takes I'm willing to do it, but I'd hate to throw more money into my system for naught.

My computer has better components than most people's, I'd think. It's self-built with quality components, yet LR does not seem to be running any better than it did on my old computer, which did not even meet Lightroom's recommended system requirements.

Are most people putting up with LR performance problems such as I'm experiencing and accepting it as normal and necessary?

My husband uses Photoshop on his late 2008 Macbook (not Macbook Pro) and that works okay, so why am I having so much trouble with LR on my newer, much more powerful system?

Considering my computer's components, doesn't it seem likely that it's a software issue?

• 3. Re: Why is LR 5.7 using 10GB Memory?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Performance of any program is dependent on the overall performance of the system.

Your i3 CPU is a low performer.

I have 2 computers both running second gen i7 CPUs and SSDs. One is a desktop with GPU (although in LR it is disabled) and the other a notebook with no GPU other than what is built into the CPU.

The desktop if overclocked from the standard 2.8Ghz to 3.6Ghz along with the bus speed being overclocked. My desktop is way faster than my notebook when it comes to LR processing speeds. Everything happens faster on the desktop.

You also have to look at what else is running on the system. No matter how much RAM is installed if other processes are eating up CPU cycles that will degrade the performance of the system as a whole.

• 4. Re: Why is LR 5.7 using 10GB Memory?
                dj_paige Level 9

The i3 is the weakest part of my system, but is it really weak enough to warrant such terrible performance from LR? Especially considering the quality of the rest of my components?

I guess that depends on what you are doing, and how big your photos are, and a few other things. Most of the speed (or lack of speed) in Lightroom comes from the CPU. So the part of the computer that has the biggest impact on speed in Lightroom is the weakest part of your computer.

Why won't a SSD speed up Lightroom performance? I thought a SSD was recommended for that reason.

An SSD will speed up the loading of your software and the ability to scroll through your photos, these are operations that depend on the speed of the disk. Editing, and most other things in Lightroom (exporting and importing) depend on the CPU speed.

So you're saying that if I upgrade my processor, LR will finally run without freezing, lagging, and using tons of memory? If that is what it takes I'm willing to do it, but I'd hate to throw more money into my system for naught.

There's no guarantee, again it depends on what you are doing and how big your photos (in megapixels. not megabytes) are. If you are doing a lot of brushing or spot healing on a particular photos, this will also cause slow downs.

Freezing (especially when cropping) could be a different problem, you might want to try deleting your preference file. Where to find preference files for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5

• 5. Re: Why is LR 5.7 using 10GB Memory?
                  Jenthinkso Level 1

Thank you.