9 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 11:58 PM by Mike1249

Right alignment

Mike1249 Level 1

I am placing text from MS Word comprising list of "entries". Each entry is four or five lines. The top line has name on the left and a phone number right aligned. There are thousands of entries. When I place this text the phone number is not right aligned. Does anyone know how I can get this phone number to be placed on the right in InDesign?

• 1. Re: Right alignment
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

What is in between the name on the left and the phone number that should be right-aligned? You can replace it with a Right Indent tab (Shift+Tab). In the example below, the first line has a tab, the second as a right indent tab, which pushes everything after it to the right margin.

InDesign CCss_063.png

For thousands of entries you don't want to do it manually... If you can figure out what is currently in between the two you can search for that and replace with ^y. In my example above, if I wanted to replace all tabs with right indent tabs, I could search for ^t (a tab) and replace with ^y (a right indent tab).

InDesign CCss_064.png

• 2. Re: Right alignment
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How is the text aligned in Word? You should be using a tab or a table.

If it’s a tab it should be a single, right aligned tab.

• 3. Re: Right alignment
              Mike1249 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Bob. When I try to right align the phone number in Word, it aligns the whole line.

• 4. Re: Right alignment
                Mike1249 Level 1

Thanks for reply Barb. In Word with the cursor on the left of the phone number the whole line is right aligned.

• 5. Re: Right alignment
                  BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

So after you place the text in InDesign, set the text alignment to left, and add the Shift+Tab in front of the phone number. Once you see how it works, move on to the find/change I outlined above.

• 6. Re: Right alignment
                    Mike1249 Level 1

Thanks Bob.

I'm ok now.

• 7. Re: Right alignment
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also if it isn't clear from Barb's post there is a distinct difference between a Right Indent tab (Type>Insert Special Character>Other>Right Indent Tab) and a Right Aligned tab. A Right Indent Tab forces all of the text after the tab to be right aligned to the text frame. A Right Align tab aligns the text to the chosen tab position.

• 8. Re: Right alignment
                        Migintosh Level 4

Mike1249 wrote:

When I try to right align the phone number in Word, it aligns the whole line.

Alignment controls the whole paragraph, and in your example, the paragraph is only one line. If you want left-aligned text, set the alignment to left. For the phone number, Barb's suggestion is what I recommend also. As a bonus, you can change the width of the text frame, and the phone number will stick to the right side of the frame.

• 9. Re: Right alignment
                          Mike1249 Level 1

I am amazed at the amount of help I have received. The problem has been solved.

A very big thank you to you all.

- Mike