6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2016 6:19 PM by NovemberPapa

Wrong Capture Time for Video Files

NovemberPapa

I have just got a new DSLR and, when importing the files, the video files all have an offset of eight hours from when they were recorded when sorted by Lightroom.  My previous DSLR never seemed to have this issue.  I can change the capture time within Lightroom but, since the files show the right time when I look at them in Explorer, I am confused as to why they are offset.  I am in Pacific time so the eight hours makes me think of the GMT offset but it is DST so that would be nine hours.  Anyone seen something like this before?

• 1. Re: Wrong Capture Time for Video Files
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Pacific Standard Time (PST) is UTC - 8.  Pacific Daylight Time (PST) is UTC - 7. 

There are a couple of different possible causes of your symptoms.  If you upload a small sample video showing the problem to Dropbox or similar, I'll put the file under a microscope and see what's going on and suggest possible workarounds.   Don't use Google Drive -- it mangles the video metadata.

• 2. Re: Wrong Capture Time for Video Files
            NovemberPapa Level 1

Thanks for the offer of help John.  What is the best way to give you the link to the Dropbox folder?

• 3. Re: Wrong Capture Time for Video Files

Go to Dropbox.com and navigate to the video file you want to share.  Move the mouse to the right of the filename and click Share:

In the window that pops up:

Copy the link and paste it into your reply here.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Wrong Capture Time for Video Files

As I suspected, the file is in Quicktime format, and the industry can't agree on how to record date/times in Quicktime.  The Quicktime spec (and the MP4 spec, which is based on Quicktime) calls for the capture date to be recorded in UTC (GMT).  However, many cameras don't have a notion of time zone, so they record the camera's clock, which is typically set to local time.   LR chooses to interpret the capture date as local time.

Unfortunately, smart phones and some newer cameras do have a notion of time zone, and some of these chose to follow the Quicktime spec, recording the capture date in UTC.  Unfortunately, there is no easy way for LR to know whether the recorded time is UTC or local.

the files show the right time when I look at them in Explorer

This is most likely because you were looking at the file's Date Modified in Explorer, the date/time a file was last modified. With photos and videos freshly copied from a memory card, these times are often the same as when the photo/video was captured.  But the file's date modified and date created will change as soon as any software manipulates the files.

The easy but annoying workaround is to use the Metadata > Edit Capture Time command to shift the times.

• 6. Re: Wrong Capture Time for Video Files
                  NovemberPapa Level 1

Thanks John.  That is what I am doing in the interim.  I will drop a line to Canon about this to see what they say but I guess a workaround is going to be needed.  Not cool but what can we do?  Appreciate your help with this.

Rob