14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2016 6:54 AM by MobileDeveloperCK

Reset Form bug - Please help!

goldilocks22

Hi,

I've created a form with fillable fields, checkboxes, and a Reset Form button that is used on an iPad.  It appears the Reset Form button has stopped working consistently on the iPad since the update (resetting some fields, but not others).  Has anyone else reported this bug?

Please advise, thanks!

Laurie

• 1. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!
          MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

Would you be willing to share your PDF form with us (Adobe)?  We can inspect it and determine the cause of the problem.

I've sent you a forum private message with the instructions on how to share your file with us.

Thank you for your help!

• 2. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!
            goldilocks22 Level 1

Hi,

Just sent it... thank you for your quick reply!  Please let me know what you find.

Laurie

• 3. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!

Hi Laurie,

We received your PDF form.  Thank you!

I inspected the Clear Form button in your PDF form using the desktop version of Acrobat Pro.  Some form fields are not included in the list of fields to reset.

Reset 1.png

Reset 2.png

Are "AVP" and "DC" the only fields that are not reset?  Or are there any others?

Would you specify which form field(s) on which page(s) are not reset correctly?

The screenshots of the text fields that are not being reset would be very helpful.

How to add a screenshot to a forum message from iPad/iPhone

Would you also tell us the iOS version on your iPad?

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!
                goldilocks22 Level 1

When I test the form on my laptop, it works.  Just not working on the iPad.  Have iOS version 9.3.1.

The DC and AVP fields are set to not clear.  It appears that fields that aren't duplicated from the 1st page, and fields that are not populated based on checkboxes/radio buttons selected on the first page, are not clearing upon tapping the Clear Form button on the iPad (does that make sense?).  Some of these fields are:

Dealer Name w9

W9 Address

W9 City

W9 State

W9 Zip

SSN1, 2 and 3

EIN 1 and 2

Bank Name

Branch

Routing Number

Account

Name on Account

Print Name

OR Name 1 (probably occurring with similar named fields 2 and 3)

OR Title 1 (probably occurring with similar named fields 2 and 3)

• 5. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!

Hi,

I used the desktop version of Acrobat Reader DC (version 2015.016.20041) on Mac and Windows computers and tried to reset the PDF form containing filled data by clicking the CLEAR FORM button in the PDF form.

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 8.03.53 AM.png

The same problem is reproducible with the desktop Reader apps on Windows and Mac and the other third-party PDF viewer app (called PDF Expert) on iOS.  In particular, the text fields on page 5, 8, 9. and 10 are not reset correctly (as you pointed out in your previous reply).

Thus, this problem is not specific to Acrobat Reader for iPad or any particular PDF Viewer app.  Rather, the problem is specific to the multi-page PDF form with duplicated fields, associated JavaScripts, and dependencies.  (Simpler PDF forms do not exhibit the problem with the "Reset a form" action, either.)

We will continue investigating the cause of the problem and let you know when we find a solution or workaround.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!
                    goldilocks22 Level 1

Hi,

The form was created using Adobe Acrobat Standard on my PC.  When I test it on my PC, it works.  The Acrobat Reader version on my iPad is 16.05.18.  This form worked correctly up until the recent Adobe update.  Could this issue be due to the version it was created in?

• 7. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!

Additional information:

If you click the CLEAR FORM button just once for the first time after filling forms data, the text fields on page 5, 8, 9. and 10 are not reset correctly.

However, if you keep clicking the CLEAR FORM button more than 6-7 times in the desktop version of Acrobat Reader on a Windows or Mac computer, the text fields will eventually be reset.

• 8. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!

I tried resetting the same PDF form with the older version 15.3.0 (134456) of Acrobat Reader (released on January 5, 2016) on my iPad running iOS 9.3.1.  I got the same result - the text fields on page 5, 8, 9. and 10 are not reset correctly.  So it is not a newly introduced problem. 

I suspect that the "Reset a form" action with the particular PDF form has never worked correctly with the mobile Acrobat Reader apps (for iOS and Android).  I also tried the latest version 16.1 of Acrobat Reader for Android and got the same result.

Would you please try resetting your PDF form with filled data using the latest desktop version of Acrobat Reader for Windows or Mac and click the CLEAR FORM button just once (not multiple times) to see if you see the problem?

• 9. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!
                          goldilocks22 Level 1

Hi,

When I released an earlier version of the form to my users on 1/19/2016, the reset form button worked on both my desktop and on the iPad.  I just tested that version on my desktop using Adobe Acrobat X Standard and on my iPad, and the reset form function worked on both devices.  

Earlier, you mentioned that the problem could exist due to duplicated fields and javascripts.  However... those fields that are duplicated and have javascript ARE resetting when tapping the CLEAR FORM button.  It's the fields that aren't duplicated or have associated javascripts that aren't resetting.  Are you able to what fields might be causing the reset form function to not work?

Thanks again for all your help with this!

• 10. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!

Hi,

Do you have the older version of PDF from that you released on 1/19/2016?

The one that you shared with us has the following dates.

Date.png

Would you please describe what you have changed after 1/19/2016? 

Did you insert new pages (containing form fields) to the PDF form, by any chance?

• 11. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!
                              goldilocks22 Level 1

Hi,

I just sent the version from Jan. 2016.

When I created the next version (noted above), I did modify the first page, so deleted it from the file and inserted the new page.  Before I did that though, I deleted fields in the rest of the document that duplicate from the first page or have associated javascript.  Then, I inserted the new first page, created the fields for it, and duplicated them and created new dependent fields.  Aha... I think I see the problem!

The fields that are not affected by the new first page are the ones that are not resetting on the iPad!  However, they do reset on a PC.  Is that what is happening? 

P.s.  Just sent Jan. version again with subject line:  Forum post 8762999#8762999

• 12. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!

Hi Laurie,

I have determined the cause of the problem.  The March 2016 version of your PDF form has missing field entries.

Here's a little bit of technical background information.

There are two locations in the PDF file format that fields are recorded.

1. Catalog > AcroForm > Fields
                                2. Page > Annots

The fields that you mentioned in your reply #4 (e.g. Dealer Name W9, W9 Address, W9 City, W9 State, W9 Zip, SSN1, 2 and 3) were not properly written out to location (1) in the March 2016 version of your PDF form.  I have verified it using our internal tool to inspect the PDF form.

I suspect that the problem was introduced to the PDF form, when you deleted a page, inserted a new page, duplicated fields, etc. using the desktop version of Acrobat Standard.

Acrobat Reader mobile apps for iOS and Android look at location (1) to identify all of the existing fields in a PDF form.  If some fields are not listed in the location (1), they are not recognized as such.  That is the reason why some of the fields in your PDF form are not reset.

In contrast, Acrobat/Reader desktop apps have the extended capability of finding all of the existing fields from individual pages, location (2), in a PDF form, even if some fields are not listed in location (1).

To repair your PDF form, you need to remove the "missing" fields (that were not reset correctly) from individual pages and add new ones using the Acrobat Pro/Standard's Forms tool.

I am sorry that it is rather a long, tedious process to repair the PDF form.  Unfortunately, I am not aware of any commercially available PDF editing tools that can repair a faulty PDF form with a click of a button.

I'd recommend you to try to fix a small set of fields first.  You may want to look at the March 2016 version of PDF form for reference.

1. Select a page containing the fields that are not reset correctly.  Example: Page 5 (W9 form)
                                2. Remove the fields that are not reset correctly.
                                3. Add new fields with the same field properties and associated JavaScript, etc.
                                4. Save the PDF form.
                                5. Fill in the fields.
                                6. Click the CLEAR FORM button to test if they are reset correctly.
                                7. Repeat the steps above for other pages with the problem.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

You may also want to visit the PDF Forms  forum, where there are Adobe employees and experts who have extensive knowledge of Acrobat forms and the Acrobat Pro/Standard and third-party Forms tools.

• 13. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!
                                  goldilocks22 Level 1

Hi MobileDevCK,

I can't thank you enough for all of your help!  I'll be sure to check out the PDF Forms forum also.

Laurie 

• 14. Re: Reset Form bug - Please help!

You are welcome, Laurie!