7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2016 6:44 AM by trshaner

How to change color from red for out-of-gamut areas in soft proof preview?

AnnieVE Level 1

Hi,

I saw this question was asked a while back, and the answer was to not even bother with the soft-proofing, but to export the file to JPEG in the RGB color space, and it does the soft-proofing for you...  (thank you for the great video, Digital Dog!)...

But...  I was still hoping to be able to do a little of the soft-proofing in the Develop module mainly as a preview...  however I am trying to do the soft-proofing on a painting of some tomatoes and the gamut warning and tomatoes are all just one big block of red.

I sure do hope there is a way to change that color.

Thanks!

Anne

• 2. Re: How to change color from red for out-of-gamut areas in soft proof preview?
          AnnieVE Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying.  Oh well...  I wonder if Adobe plans on adding that as a feature.

Thanks again!

Anne

• 3. Re: How to change color from red for out-of-gamut areas in soft proof preview?
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AnnieVE wrote:

But... I was still hoping to be able to do a little of the soft-proofing in the Develop module mainly as a preview... however I am trying to do the soft-proofing on a painting of some tomatoes and the gamut warning and tomatoes are all just one big block of red.

You can change the gamut warning color in PS Soft Proof, but not LR's.

The gamut warning indicator is not really very useful for a number of reasons. It does not tell you how much out-of-gamut the area is and the color you see onscreen is limited to the gamut of your monitor.

A better way to make Soft Proof adjustments in LR is using Before/After View. Select create Crete Proof Copy and then select Before View> Master Photo as below. If using a wide gamut printer profile and your monitor is standard gamut (sRGB) you won't see much difference between the Master and Proof Preview. What target soft proof Printer Profile and monitor are you using (standard or wide gamut)?

Soft Proof to Master Compare.jpg

• 4. Re: How to change color from red for out-of-gamut areas in soft proof preview?
              AnnieVE Level 1

Hi trshaner,

Thank you for responding!

I did the steps above.  You are correct, there is no difference between the two that I can detect.

Unfortunately for me, given my price range, I can only use a standard printer at our local photo lab...  the prints are much less expensive...  So I was using Adobe RGB 1998 as a default printer profile setting. 

Nevertheless, in the past I've been tweaking the photos to help them print better at the photo lab with mostly good success, but with some areas not working as well.  I was hoping that Lr would make it possible for me to do an even better job than before.

I have an HP at home, but there aren't any icc profiles for regular in-home printers. 

• 5. Re: How to change color from red for out-of-gamut areas in soft proof preview?

AnnieVE wrote:

I did the steps above. You are correct, there is no difference between the two that I can detect.

This would indicate you are using a standard gamut display with ~ sRGB color gamut.

AnnieVE wrote:

Unfortunately for me, given my price range, I can only use a standard printer at our local photo lab... the prints are much less expensive..

What photo lab? Costco printer profiles are available for every location by State: Digital photo lab profiles

AnnieVE wrote:

So I was using Adobe RGB 1998 as a default printer profile setting.

Standard gamut printers are much closer to sRGB than Adobe RGB. In addition your monitor is limited to sRGB so you can't even see the additional gamut. In a nutshell you are already "soft proofing" to sRGB without using Soft Proof.

AnnieVE wrote:

Nevertheless, in the past I've been tweaking the photos to help them print better at the photo lab with mostly good success, but with some areas not working as well. I was hoping that Lr would make it possible for me to do an even better job than before.

Are you using a monitor calibrator? The biggest issue is setting you monitor's brightness too high. Ideally the monitor should be adjusted and calibrated to 100-120 L/M2. What issues are you experiencing?

• 6. Re: How to change color from red for out-of-gamut areas in soft proof preview?
                  AnnieVE Level 1

Hi trshaner,

How neat that Costco does printing.  There was one for my state, but sadly not for my city...  the closest Costco is 2.5 hours away.  Phew-Lewey.  That would have been awesome.  Thank you for passing that on though.  I really appreciate it.

I have calibrated my monitor...  I use a Spyder5Pro

The local printer place I am using right now said that the printer I am using right now has an Adobe RGB color space.  Unusual for a print shop as I understand it. 

• 7. Re: How to change color from red for out-of-gamut areas in soft proof preview?

AnnieVE wrote:

I have calibrated my monitor... I use a Spyder5Pro

If the monitor is properly calibrated prints should be close to the screen image in LR. What is sometimes "not working well" concerning the print matching the screen image?

AnnieVE wrote:

The local printer place I am using right now said that the printer I am using right now has an Adobe RGB color space.

That means they are using a wide gamut inkjet printer. Again if your monitor is standard gamut (sRGB) then the prints won't match your screen image. What model monitor are you using?