18 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2016 6:48 AM by Laubender

venn diagram removal of intersected lines

tropicalfishswimming

Hi,

I need an easy and quick way of deleting  the intersecting lines of up to several overlapping circles.  I need to do loads of groups of circles.  So far I am doing it with creating an ellipse with white fill and copying and pasting it over the lines I want removed.  Is there an easier and quicker way?

To start with an easier example, imagine 2 circles overlapping (as a venn diagram with 2 sets), the intersecting lines would not be visible.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Is this what you are looking for?

InDesign CCss_066.png

If so, draw a circle, duplicate and position. Select both and choose Object > Pathfinder > Add.

As it gets more complex, you'll outgrow the possibilities in InDesign and you'd be better off in Illustrator.

• 2. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Barbara,

If the op really wants what you show, Pathfinder could be useless! 

Selecting all the blocks: M100 fill and B100 stroke! (see Color Panel)

The blocks are not merged using Pathfinder! They simply overlap!

Capture d’écran 2016-05-21 à 01.23.58.png

Capture d’écran 2016-05-21 à 01.26.08.png

Capture d’écran 2016-05-21 à 01.25.18.png

As the op says: "… the intersecting lines would not be visible."

"Everything is just a matter of perspective!" 

• 3. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines
              tropicalfishswimming Level 1

hi Obi-wan and Bar-binder

Thank you so much to both of you for your helpful replies.  That pathfinder add tool seems very useful. The problem is that as it merges the shapes ie. makes them one shape, I lose my flexibility.  I would like to retain my ability to shuffle the circles around to fit them in with other groups of circles on the page. 

Obi-wan, I wasnt too sure how you managed to get your overlaps to do what you did and not get the intersecting line?  I tried to follow your instructions ?

To make things a bit clearer, I am using indesign rather than illustrator as indesign allows you to define shapes an exact size.  I am in effect needing to make these circles a certain size.  

Failing that I could use a mixture of the pathfinder add tool and the fill ellipse to fill over intersections I dont want shown on slightly overlapping circles instead.   . Perhaps obi-wan if you explain how you got to do what you did, when I did it, one shape is always ontop and I got the outline.

In actuality, what I am trying to do  is imagine that I have several circles and they are not overlapping but just touching each other. What I really want is for the inside borders where the circles touch to each other touchpoint to be removed.   Thus the end result would be just the external lines showing of the group of circles.  Any ideas on how to do this?   I am imagining this is not possible..which is why I asked about the overlapping circles as I thought that would.

Thank you both for your ideas, Obi wan, I look forward to hearing how you got your lines to not show the intersection, without using the pathfinder tool.

• 5. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

To make things a bit clearer, I am using indesign rather than illustrator as indesign allows you to define shapes an exact size.  I am in effect needing to make these circles a certain size.

You can definitely define the sizes of the shapes in Illustrator, plus you have Live Shapes which allow you to retain the ability to move them around.

Adobe Illustrator CC 2015ss_093.png

That said, I feel like I am missing something... is there a pic of this online somewhere that you can share with us? Or perhaps a sketch?

• 7. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

hi Obi-wan and Barbinder,

Thanks for your advice, I have uploaded an image which almost fulfills my criteria apart from

1. circles are overlapping slightly in order to get pathfinder to work
                  2. circles are now merged together so dont have the flexibility to juggle them around.

Barbinder thanks for your example, those units of pts, can they be changed to mm? sorry for stupid question.  I am more comfortable working in indesign, as I have to place lots of text and titles over image, I find it more flexible. 

There isnt a way is there of exporting a file from illustrator and then being able to carry on playing with the image is there?

• 8. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

Capture d’écran 2016-05-21 à 17.13.08.png

You can do in white of course!

• 9. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

Yes, you can change the unit of measure in InDesign and Illustrator. In Ai, you set it via Prefs > Units (vs Prefs > Units & Increments in InDesign).

To set up your circles in Ai, you can use the same ellipse tool. Alt/Opt + drag duplicates in both. Use the Selection tool in both to position, and use the Control panel in both for sizing, or the more robust Transform panel in Ai that I showed in an earlier screen shot.

Text is also very similar, and if you spend a little time you can likely handle it all in Ai. A big difference is that Ai has point text as well as area type, meaning you can simple click and start typing for short strings or press and drag out a text frame like in InDesign. But if that throws you over the edge, you could set up your circles in Ai and then place them into InDesign. Using the Links panel, you can hop back to AI quickly to update, and then save and close and return to InDesign to see the changes reflected. This would allow you to work with text InDesign, where you feel more comfortable.

Finally, an easy way to approach the circles is to use the Shaper tool. It uses scribble technology to merge the shapes, but unlike Pathfinder in InDesign they remain Live Shapes and can be manipulated later.

1. Select the shaper tool, scribble over the lines you want to remove.Adobe Illustrator CC 2015ss_100.png
                      2. When you let go:
                        Adobe Illustrator CC 2015ss_098.png

3. With the same Shaper tool, click on a path (the edge) to select and manipulate the individual circles.
                        Adobe Illustrator CC 2015ss_099.png
                      • 10. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

How to simply do it in ID?

Not 1 circle but 2 same circles! Easy to be manipulated (and aligned)!

Same colors but different opacities and the "Red Circles" are in front of the "Black Stroke Circles" (see Layer Panel)!

That's all! 

Capture d’écran 2016-05-21 à 17.25.23.png

Capture d’écran 2016-05-21 à 17.25.37.png

• 11. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

Thank you Obi-wan and Barbinder,

I have learned some useful techniques which will be valuable.

Obi-wan, very clever idea but I think that it would take me too long to reposition all the black stroke circles around the opaque circles as I have hundreds to do, but its a great and clever idea..

Barbinder, thanks for your very specific and very useful help, that pathfinder add command will definitely be used and I will probably be using ellipses with solid fill along with them to blank out circle sections that havent been removed.  If I leave this operation of pathfinder right to the end I will have the flexibility to adjust the circles accordingly right up until that point.

Many thanks to both of you for helping me. I was going bananas with adding ellipses all over the show.

• 12. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

About your comment, you're wrong!

Create a circle with the right settings, copy it and paste it "on place" (not sure of the translation).

Now you have 2 circles, one in front of the other!

Manipulate/duplicate them together with the "black Arrow" tool!

• 13. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

hi,

Thanks for that, I was thinking I would have to position each one over the other manually. I will give it a go. There's so much to learn really. Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

• 14. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines
                                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello,

there is a method where you are working with singular circle objects—no doubling for fill and strokes—and a drop shadow effect.

The effect is applied to the group of circles not to the circles themselves.

Downside 1: Do not count with entirely sharp vector edges, but with a small blur visible when zoomed in.

Downside 2: You are introducing transparency to the page. It's hard to do the necessary trapping for eg. offset printing.

In case of a white fill and if you are working on a paper background this is no issue at all.

Downside 3: You have to move the circles inside of the group. Ungroup the group and the effect is gone.

1. The result is shown below.

If you look at the Layers panel, you can see the grouped circles.

Only two circles. No duplicates for the stroke needed.

For a stroke, that is a drop shadow applied to the group.

GroupedCircles-EffectIsOnGroup-NotOnContents.png

2. Zoomed in to 600% :

ZoomedInTo-600%.png

3. How is this accomplished?

Here the settings for the drop shadow effect:

DropShadowEffect-Settings-on-GROUP.png

Uwe

• 15. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

Hi Uwe,

I'm just thinking about another simple way, only playing on strokes with "Saturation" (in french) effect!

[ of course, works if no background! ]

I've created 5 object styles to play.

So, just design the frames, select them and apply the object style!

At your own risk [color choices]! 

Capture d’écran 2016-05-22 à 10.40.48.png

• 16. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

Hi Uwe,

I dont see how you got the intersect line to disappear as I cannot do this. I selected both circles and grouped them and then made the drop shadow settings. One circle appears overlaid on top of the other.

Im not sure how useful your method is as without an outline I cannot see the circle anyway.  My circles have to be paper colour ie white. You can only see where the circles are because they are pink.

I also have to print on A2 so the blur factor may be more apparent

If you could explain how you got your overlap not to show I would be grateful thanks

• 17. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines

If you play in "black & white" (with no background), use an effect on the stroke is really the best way for you!

If you create an object style for this effect and associate a keyboard shortcut to play, it become a real game:

create your frames, select all them and play the KS!

That's all! 

• 18. Re: venn diagram removal of intersected lines
                                        Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tropicalfishswimming wrote:

Hi Uwe,

I dont see how you got the intersect line to disappear as I cannot do this.

The trick is to apply the drop shadow after you grouped the circles.

To work that out right, before doing the group, fill the circles with color "[Paper]". Set the stroke color to "None" and the stroke width to "0":

1. Draw two circles, no fill, no stroke:

1-TwoCircles-NoFill-NoStroke.png

2. Fill color is "[Paper]":

2-TwoCircles-FillColor-Paper.png

3. Group them, group is selected:

3-TwoCircles-FillColor-Paper-GROUPED.png

4. Apply drop shadow to group only.

Important settings:

Distance: 0

Spread: 100

4-TwoCircles-FillColor-Paper-GROUPED-Applied-DropShadow.png

Best use color "[Black]" and opacity 100 %.

Uwe