In versions of Premiere Elements prior to version 11, it was vital to manually set up a project correctly in order for it to function correctly.
Which project settings did you select? Look under the Edit menu and select Project Settings. What are the resolution and frame rate settings listed? Is it upper field first or lower field first.
All this happens automatically in version 11 and later.
It's saying Upper Field First. I've tried to change the settings, but nothing happens.
You can't change the settings. However, I will need to know what the settings are before I can troubleshoot your problems.
Also you appear to be working from DVD footage. Is this a home-burned DVD or video from a DVD camcorder? How did you get the VOB to your computer?
Commercial DVDs have copy protection built into them which will keep you from ripping and editing files from them. If you use software to break this copy protection, please let us know.
I think VOBs are upper field first, Ann. It's DV-AVIs that are lower field first.
Home made dvd's are lower.
Even Elements makes them lower.
That is one of the reasons I would not make a dvd from HD material in Elements.
Elements swaps the fields on export.
If you have an authoring program i would export from Elements with mpeg2-dvd fields set to upper.
I don't know, Ann. I spot checked several DVD files I've made. They're all upper field first.
But no matter. As long as the project settings match the video specs, things should work pretty smoothly.
Yes, but guessing you use DVD Architect.
You might be right! I didn't realize it would make a difference.
Thanks for the tip, Ann!
The original material was from a VHS tape with some old TV shows, which I copied on to a DVD+RW.
So there's no copy protection, stop copy, or whatever involved.
I copied the files off the disc using Elements, and are labeled "VTS_01_1.VOB", "VTS_01_2.VOB", etc., and there are 5 files. Leaving out the VTS file, of course.
BTW, I was using a DVD+RW because if you use a regular finalized DVD+R, there's usually a problem with copying the first part of a program. So the DVD+RW was my work-around.
Also, I tried exporting a couple of files as MPEGs, and using them, but the same sync problems cropped up.
Copy disk using Explorer, then ingest into Elements.
See if that will make any difference.
Did a couple of things to see if they would help.
I made a new DVD+RW, because I realized the first one was set to put "phantom" chapters (term we used at a video distributor I worked for) every 5 minutes, and I thought that could be a problem.
As suggested, I copied the VOBs with File Explorer instead of doing it in Elements.
So I tried a couple of those, and the audio was still going off the rails in Elements. I also tried exporting a couple of files to MP4s. But when viewing them in Elements, they would go out of sync for a moment or two, then there would be a glitch/blink, and things were corrected.
Just to update things, I've tried using VOBs I copied from Explorer, converting the files to MPEGs, and also AVIs (no good there, you get those lines that almost resemble resolution lines, and it has more of a film look to it than video).
Every time, the audio goes out of sync somewhere, or I get a blink/glitch which corrects things for a moment, then it goes out of whack again.
Totally lost here.