19 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 11:35 AM by Jao vdL

Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS

Vcize Level 1

I am noticing major color/contrast differences when viewing my photos in Lightroom vs. Photoshop (using LR open in PS option).

Namely, when the image is open in LR it is much more saturated and contrasty than in photoshop. A major difference. Perhaps this isn't the best way to show it but here are a couple of cell phone snaps of the screen, which illustrate what I'm seeing fairly accurately, though sitting here the difference is even more striking than in the pics.

Photoshop - less contrast and saturation

Lightroom - more contrast and saturation

If i export the image from both, the result comes out identical, and looks more like the Lightroom version (more contrast/saturation). Oddly, if I open it in Nik collection it opens more like the Photoshop version (less contrast/saturation).

This kind of came out of the blue. I haven't made any changes to color space or anything in either program, though I'm guessing that's where the issue lies since that confuses the heck out of me no matter how many articles I read about it. My monitor is calibrated with a ColorMunki.

Here is a snapshot of my Photoshop color settings.  Not sure if these got changed somehow as I don't recall setting it to this, but I haven't been in here (at least intentionally) as far as I can remember.

• 1. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Turn the GPU (Graphics Processor) On or Off in each of LR and PS and see if anything changes.

Turn on the three Ask When checkboxes under the Color Management Policies section at the lower left of the PS Color Settings panel just so you know if something unexpected is occurring.

The photos-with-my-phone images of PS and LR you’ve linked from DPReview are too small to read things on, so it’d be nicer to have the full-size or at least a bit larger image not just the smallish preview.

Is the image you’re seeing in LR the result of flattening all the layers of the image in PS or has something else happened to it?  Also, hopefully you’ve turned on Maximize Compatibility when you save the TIF otherwise LR won’t be seeing the results of the composite preview which could easily be different.

If you select a raw photo in LR and do Edit in PS does the PS version look different than the LR Original?  And once you Save from PS back into LR does the new LR copy look similar to the original LR image or is it different?

• 2. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
            Vcize Level 1

Well this continues to get more and more odd.

To answer your question if I go into LR and go right click + edit in PS, the image shows up in photoshop desaturated and with less contrast.  If I then save without making any changes and go back to LR, the image appears as it did originally in LR, with more saturation and contrast.

I tried to get bigger previews for you by taking screenshots of my lightroom and photoshop windows and pasting them into a separate photoshop document.  Oddly, that seems to have had the effect of heavily saturating both of them.  I have no idea why.  Here are the two photos.  Note that they both appear much more saturated than what I am seeing on my screen, but it still does show the difference between LR and PS.

LR-colors.jpg

PS-colors.jpg

LR-colors-fit.jpg

PS-colors-fit.jpg

• 3. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you try turning off GPU acceleration as ssprengel suggested? If that doesn't fix it, the the question is "How are you calibrating your display?" These sort of differences are almost always due to a bad monitor color profile installed in your system. Solution is to recalibrate. If you don't own a calibrator, go to your display's properties panel in windows and delete any profile associated with your monitor. This will make windows assume sRGB for your monitor. This should fix the difference but will not give you accurate color. You can only get accurate color if you use a hardware calibrator.

• 4. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first post says they calibrate the monitor with a ColorMunki.

Screenshots have pixel values in terms of the color profile of your monitor but the internet assumes sRGB, so you should open each screenshot in PS and assign the color profile of your monitor, then convert profile to sRGB.

• 5. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have my PS working space set to Pro Photo RGB which I saved as My Custom profile. This is consistent with the LR working space and the external editing prefs in LR are set to render a tiff in Pro Photo RGB. I also have Bridge installed and have My Custom selected as the profile and I get confirmation that all my Creative Cloud Applications are synchronized- see image below.

MyCustom.jpg

• 6. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                    afeinphoto Level 1

Having similar issues after the latest updates....I dont know why I ever bother to update anymore.  Always issues afterwards.

• 7. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                      PhilT_GP Level 1

same here - I have just posted a new thread and then noticed this one.

I edit in LR with no problems - the select 'edit in PS' .... if I make no changes but simply save the image with a new filename, it shows up in LR next to the original ..... the two images are different.  I have the sRGB profiles in use everywhere. I have turned GPU acceleration on/off in LR/PS and reverted my video drivers .... with no luck.  My conclusion - this is a PS bug.

• 8. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                        Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The solution was provided by Jao VDL in post #3.

When Photoshop and Lightroom display colors differently, it's nearly always due to a defective monitor profile.

Bad profiles are typically installed with OS updates, Windows 10 is notorious for this.

The fix is to calibrate, but a temporary fix is to set the monitor profile to sRGB.

On Windows, follow this procedure:

Press the Windows key+R, type colorcpl and hit Enter.

Add the sRGB profile, then set it as Default profile. See screenshot (from Windows 7) below.

(Mac users, see http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-wh ether-its-corrupted/ )

color-management.png

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                          PhilT_GP Level 1

Thanks for the reply Per Bernsten but I don't think you read my post .... "I have the sRGB profiles in use everywhere" - I already have the monitor profile setup as per the notes above.

My workflow hasn't changed in months but this problem only started recently - so I assume a bug in the LR/PS update.

To summarise:
                          view an image in LR
                          edit that image in PS .... no obvious display difference at this point
                          NO EDITS
                          save the image (as a copy so I retain the original)
                          Refresh light room - the original and new images are different colours

Here, the original image in LR is on the right. I edited in PS, and saved with a new filename, and the resulting image is on the left.

When I edited in PS, the image appears the same as it does in LR - but when I save and re-view in LR, the new image is different.

My workflow has been .... CR2 files in LR, then PSD in PS and save as PSD, then LR process the PSD files.

I will try using TIFF instead of PSD and also look at converting to DNG first.

I don't see why I should need to do any of this now as my workflow has never given this problem before.

• 10. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have the sRGB profiles in use everywhere

Ah! but LR uses the ProPhoto RGB workspace by default.

See this article by Scott Kelby.

http://lightroomkillertips.com/keeping-your-color-consistent-between-lightroom-and-photosh op/

• 11. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                              PhilT_GP Level 1

As I said - I have sRGB profiles everywere - not ProPhotoRGB !

In PS I have 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' selected (there is no straight sRGB option)

But as far as I know, this is the same as 'sRGB'.

I even tried PS using Monitor RGB - it makes no difference to the problem.

• 12. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                                PhilT_GP Level 1

Ok, now I am convinced it is not profiles - I changed everything (LR + PS) to use AdobeRGB .... and I still get different images

A summary:

LR has a CR2 file with a couple of edits.

I open this as PSD in PS - it looks perfect side-by-side with LR

I then save as PSD With a different name

LR refreshes and I can see both images side by side - the one I just saved from PS is slightly lighter with less saturation.

If I repeat the above with TIFF instead of PSD, then the results are the same.

The impact for me is that I do some edits in LR, then switch to PS for more work - the results look ok but then I go back to LR in order to review the batch of images and the ones edited in PS look terrible.

I am going to wait for an update to PS or LR to see if Adobe can resolve this one.

• 13. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS

OK that indeed looks like it might not be a monitor profile issue. My guess is that you have a preset defined for your images or a camera default. Go to your Preferences and open the presets tab. Make sure that "Apple auto tone adjustments" is unchecked. Also hit the "reset all default Develop settings" button. Lastly, for good measure, go into catalog settings in the Metadata tab and turn off "Include Develop Settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files".

• 14. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                                    afeinphoto Level 1

I can say that no settings were changed on my end recently and I just posted a new thread with a similar issue.  Color shift happening on export with the conversion to srgb. 

• 15. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS

As part of your troubleshooting did you recalibrate your display? In Windows sometimes driver updates that are installed automatically mess with the monitor profile. The shadows being plugged in develop is pretty typical for a monitor profile issue.

• 16. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Vcize wrote:

I am noticing major color/contrast differences when viewing my photos in Lightroom vs. Photoshop (using LR open in PS option).

Here is a snapshot of my Photoshop color settings. Not sure if these got changed somehow as I don't recall setting it to this, but I haven't been in here (at least intentionally) as far as I can remember.

Please try the same Edit in PS with all three of the Color Settings 'Profiles Mismatches' and 'Missing Profiles' checked as below in PS's Edit> Color Settings. If you get an 'Embedded Profile  Mismatch' warning when using 'Edit in PS' it means you have your LR External Editing Preferences set different than PS's Color settings. I suggest setting both to use ProPhoto RGB as below:

• 17. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                                          PhilT_GP Level 1

Jao vDL - I have had some progress (although not much time to test)

your comment ..... "Go to your Preferences and open the presets tab. Make sure that "Apple auto tone adjustments" is unchecked. Also hit the "reset all default Develop settings" button."  ... .may have resolved my problem.

I am guessing that the application of auto-tone is happening for ALL new images going into LR.

I only wanted this for new images from the camera, but LR has no way of knowing the origin of the image when I re-sync the folders.

I recall adding this recently when I upgraded from a 400D to 70D (2 months ago) - so that my workflow would be quicker.

My process ..... 

Copy files from memory card to Hard-Drive using BreezeBrowser (to a folder already part of LR)

Synchronise LR .... now this applies an auto tone adjustment and lens profiles etc (actually this only seems to work for 80% of the files but that's another issue).

The images look 'ok'

Then do edits, and open in PS - sometimes I get the option 'open with LR adjustments' and sometimes now (I use CR2 files)

Then save from PS .... NOW the auto tone adjustment must be running again .... and this is where I see the problem.

Thanks - When I get the chance, I will go through this in more detail to confirm my problem is resolved.

And, then for double checking, I will try to break it and see if the problem returns.

It may be a little while before I get this chance.

• 18. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS
                                            Vcize Level 1

Jao nailed the issue for me.  Re-running my Colormunki calibration fixed the issue for me.  I suppose it's possible that a Windows update got it out of whack, though I'm not sure why it affected some software (Photoshop, Nik) and not others (Lightroom).

• 19. Re: Color/Contrast differences b/t LR and PS

Glad that fixed it. I do not know precisely why this is so inconsistent. I do know that quite often these sort of issues are fixed by recalibration. Something gets out of whack in a weird way that indeed only affects certain apps.