6 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2016 2:22 PM by pdfUser1

Sorting names in a drop down?

pdfUser1 Level 1

I have a drop down box with multiple names in it. What I've noticed is, when I click the drop down arrow and open the list to view, I can type in the first letter of a particular name in the list then all the name beginning with that letter will get sorted down and show. If I type in the second letter of the name, then the list of names gets trimmed down even further (and so on). But after doing so, if I try to click on the name to select it, it doesn't show as the name I selected. The first name in the list of names shows as my selection. That's not what I want. I don't understand why this is happening or what to do to correct it so the name I select will get selected and show as my selection.

Can someone help me with this and explain how to get the drop down selection to work the way I'd like it to work? Is there a javascript to do it? Does someone have an example I can try out? I'm not referring to the "sort items" in the options settings.

• 1. Re: Sorting names in a drop down?
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can only type the first letter of the option and then make your selection. If one type the same letter a second time then the next option starting with that letter appears. This is how the drop down and combo list have always worked.

You can go to Adobe.com and make request for the feature to work as you describe it.

• 2. Re: Sorting names in a drop down?
            pdfUser1 Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to help. But, I don't understand why when I type in the second letter of the name  (Al...for Albert), the list will trim down as I type. I can type in all the letters in the name and it will trim down the list to only show that name. Try it you'll see.

What I don't understand is, when I click to select the name, that name doesn't show in the drop down window as the name I chose. The first occurrence of the name in the list of names shows, not the one I selected. Why would the list trim down the list of names when I type in letters? It appears in the drop down list of sorted names, but doesn't allow me to select it as my selection. This is the confusing part. The drop down feature works fine and allows me to select the name (after typing in the first letter of the name) so why not after typing in the second or third, etc? It shows.

It would really help me out to understand this. I have tried to go to Adobe.com for help but that's really hard to figure out or leads me back to this site. So, that was a dead end.

• 3. Re: Sorting names in a drop down?
              gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It only works for the first letter. This is how it has been for years.

• 4. Re: Sorting names in a drop down?
                pdfUser1 Level 1

Thanks again for your time. So now, I'm wondering about a javascript that would make the drop down do as I would like? I like the option to trim the list of names in the drop down. Could you suggest a javascript that would work to trim the list and allow me to select the name?

• 5. Re: Sorting names in a drop down?
                  try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That's possible, but it requires using an additional (text) field as the "filter". It also requires using a script that filters the list based on the text in that field.

I've developed a tool that allows you to set up this "filter" field quite easily. You can find it here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Create Live Filtered List

• 6. Re: Sorting names in a drop down?
                    pdfUser1 Level 1

Thanks for the recommend. I've looked into that link already and found it was not what I am looking for or able to use it for my project. My drop down allows users to enter the names they would like to save and use again and again. That link you suggested uses a preloaded list of names which doesn't work for me. Anyway, I will keep trying to find something that will do the job, perhaps in the future things will change or someone will come up with a script that'll get me to where I want to go.