12 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 8:21 PM by Yvonaud

PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray

Yvonaud

Bonjour,

j'ai produit quelques films avec PE 14 et j'ai noté une différence de format sur le téléviseur dépendant du choix de graver sur un DVD ou sur un Blu-ray. Dans les 2 cas, j'utilise un fichier source MPEG de 720x480, mais lorsque je visionne le DVD sur mon téléviseur, le film occupe toute la surface du téléviseur alors que si je visionne le même film gravé sur un Blu-ray alors je me retrouve avec des bandes noires sur les côtés du téléviseur. Quand je produis un Blu-ray, j'utilise pourtant la résolution maximale.

Mes questions sont les suivantes:

• comment se fait-il que bien qu'utilisant une même source, j'arrive à obtenir 2 présentations différentes sur un moniteur; le DVD occupe toute la surface du moniteur tandis que le Blu-ray se limite à un format 4:3
      • que puis-je faire pour obtenir le même résultat de présentation sur un téléviseur peu importe que j'utilise un DVD ou un Blu-ray?

Salutations

• 1. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DVDs are 720x480 pixels in size. BluRays are 1920x1080 pixels in size.

When you put a 720x480 video into a BluRay project, the video only occupies a small portion of the screen (a 720x480 portion).

• 2. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
            Yvonaud Level 1

Hi Steve,

I had assumed that Blu-ray would end up with a 720x480 size even though the available format is 1920x1080 when you burn the Blu-ray but how come the DVD video occupies the full screen?

Regards

• 3. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How did you exactly make this bd disk

Is the mpeg part of a bd project/timeline within Elements or did you author it straight to a bd disk with other software.

If you did the latter I think something went wrong with the aspect ratio.

I assume the mpeg is 16x9.

• 4. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
                Yvonaud Level 1

Hello Ann,

the video comes from a transfer between a Super 8mm camera and my computer using DVD Xpress Dx2. This transfer generates a 720x480 mpeg file. I have used PE 14 to import the resulting file and burn it to a DVD and Blu-ray. The Blu-ray burning operation keeps the 720x480 format while it looks like the 720x480 format is expanded to 1920x1080 when burning the same file to a DVD. This is the part I do not understand.

I would like to obtain a standard presentation when I burn a 720x480 file to DVD or a Blu-ray. I don't know how to achieve this.

Regards

• 5. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray

Stick to dvd.

If the original is 8mm the mpeg is 4:3 so you will never get a full screen on a widescreen tv. There will always be black bars on the side.

You could stretch the picture in the tv or player but then your movie will look weird.

• 6. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray

Post a screenshot of the mpeg in MediaInfo in treeview

and a screenshot of your project settings.

might be that the project setting does not match your mpeg (could be an aspect ratio issue)

Assuming your tv is widescreen and the mpeg is 4;3. and still filling the entire screen.....

• 7. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
                      Yvonaud Level 1

I cannot stick to DVD because some videos are too big to fit on a single layer DVD. It would require a higher level of compression to fit on a regular DVD and I am afraid that the quality of the image would suffer. This is the reason for using DVD for rather small videos while using Blu-ray for larger videos instead of double layer DVD.

Regarding your suggestion to post a screenshot of the project settings, I cannot do this right now because I am away from home and as a consequence, I do not have acces to my computer where the projects are stored. However, I can provide you with the typical properties of the files. Hope this can be useful. As you can see, the file has a 720x480 format with 29 frames per second.

Capture.PNG

When you say that I will never get a full screen on a widescreen tv with a 4:3 format mpeg file, unfortunately this is what I am getting when I burn the file to a DVD, at least, this is how it appears to me on the screen. The only thing I can think of to explain this situation is that the TV monitor might be stretching the image to fill the screen. This is something I have to check when I get back home on Tuesday. I will let you know.

• 8. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray

I would realy like a screendump from Mediainfo or even Gspot.

The only thing I can think of to explain this situation is that the TV monitor might be stretching the image to fill the screen.

I have a feeling this is the case. Look for round objects you know they are a perfect circle and how they look on the tv.

If they look slightly like an egg on its side you know the image has been stretched.

• 9. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
                          Yvonaud Level 1

Hello Ann,

sorry for being late.

Here is the information you have asked for. Please note that I have use the same mpeg file to burn a DVD and a Blu-ray. When I place the DVD into the reader (Sony BDP-S5500)  the whole screen is used (1920x1080). If I do the samething but with the Blu-ray disk, I can see 2 black bars. It looks like for whatever reason that in Blu-ray mode the format is the same as the source file, but in DVD mode it is not. I have a feeling that the Blu-ray holds all the necessary properties so that the disk reader (Sony) is sending the proper information to my TV monitor to display the video properly, which might not be the case for the DVD.

Regarding the project settings, I have used the same for both disks.

MediaInfo  capture.JPGPE14 project settings 1 of 3.JPGPE14 project settings 2 of 3.JPGPE14 project settings 3 of 3.JPG

• 10. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
                            Yvonaud Level 1

Hi Ann,

I have good news. The mystery is resolved. After burning the same project to a DVD and a Blu-ray, I went to a friend of mine to try to eliminate the possibility that the problem was due to the monitor or the Blu-ray reader. I saw that the content of both disks was presented in a 720x480 format. I went back home to check the Blu-ray reader settings. I have found under screen settings an option about the screen format. As soon as I changed it from Full to Normal, the problem was gone. Now, the content of Blu-ray disks looks the same format as DVD disks on my TV monitor. Problem closed.

Thanks for your help.

• 11. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray

I still think its the wrong setting. A 4:3 movie should have black bars on each side on a widescreen tv.

But If you are happy I am happy.

• 12. Re: PE 14 format d'un film produit sur Blu-ray
                                Yvonaud Level 1

Ann,

it is effectively the case. When I said the content of Blu-ray disks looks the same format as DVD disks on my TV monitor, I meant that I end up with a 720x480 format. I should have inversed my statement by saying that now the content of my DVD disk looks the same as my Blu-ray; 720x480 or 4:3 with black bars on each side.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks again for your help

The solution for me was to change the settings of my Blu-ray reader and force the screen format from Full to Normal.