8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 7:47 AM by MD Miller
      • 1. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog
        Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Please state your exact problem and what you are trying to do. Also post the OS you are using and the LR version, be specific.

• 2. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog

What catalog are you trying to import from?

Did you Export that catalog using Export As a Catalog and did you include all the photos?

Please go through the exact steps you took when exporting as a catalog.

• 3. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MDM:  There is no chat or phone support for troubleshooting LR, so the answer is No.

JSM:  the original question is over here:  Cannot Import From Catalog

I've added a suggestion to that thread, just now.

• 4. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog

Looking at your other thread on this subject I see your post including a screen shot.

It clearly states.

1) New Photos (None Found)

2) Change Existing Photos (1258 Photos) and then you have under the Replace: area you have Nothing selected.

No wonder the Check all button doesn't work.

All those images are already in the catalog you are trying to Import TO.

LR_5.7.1+Import+from+Catalog.JPG

Please state exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

• 5. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog
                MD Miller Level 1

Thank you very much for your response.

It's troubling because LR did not want to import anything.

I checked pictures in the preview and folders in the top left list against the target Catalog that I was trying to import into.

I think a few of the images in the preview were properly grayed out, but there were tons more that did not exist in the Target Catalog.

The whole idea was that I needed to import (from catalog) virtually all of the images in the source Catalog.

Also, I didn't/don't know what "Changed Existing Photos" meant.

• 6. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog
                  MD Miller Level 1

Also, I could not select any individual folders or images from the previews. All folders and images are inactive.

• 7. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog

You need to read the dialog window better, it's all right there.

Let me see if I can explain it better.

You open LR and along with it a catalog, usually the last catalog you had open when you closed LR. You want to import images from another catalog so you select "Import from Catalog" and a File Manager type window pops up where you select the catalog you want to Import FROM. After you select the catalog to import from the Import From Catalog window comes up. In that window under the New Photos area it says NONE Found. That mean all the images in the catalog you are trying to Import FROM already exist in the catalog you already have open.

Now whether those images are marked as missing in the catalog that is already open doesn't matter. They are all still in the catalog that is open, the one you are trying to Import TO.

You can't select any because there aren't any NEW image in the catalog you are trying to Import FROM.

If the catalog that opens when LR opens has a lot of missing files, a ? mark next to them, then you have to find where those files are. You can't import them again because they are already in the catalog.

The LR catalog file is just a database file that references where the images are stored on your hard drives. It does not hold your images.

I think your problem is you have a ton of missing files, a ton of images with a ? mark next to them. You're think OK I'll just Re-Import them. That's not how LR works.

• 8. Re: This discussion was not solved-Cannot Import From Catalog
                      MD Miller Level 1

Thank you again for the response.

Yes, I do understand the logic of what is supposed to happen if the files exist in my target Catalog.

I thought I did check the target and I did not have the folders involved, at all.

I also thought, I had checked some of the previews and those that clearly did not exist in the target, were disabled.

What the Import From Another Catalog dialog questionably represents is that absolutely none of the pictures I wanted to import FROM my external hard drive Catalog (my travel Catalog and files are kept on my own MDM external drive, because my wife uses the Catalog on the laptop. Originally, I had both travel Catalogs, mine and hers, on the laptop, but she would forget to select hers from time to time.) TO my desktop drive. That is my problem. One would think that some of the laptop Catalog folders had not been imported to the desktop Catalog folders.

However, I will have to run a test. What I had to do was Import the actual files directly into my desktop, because I was losing a lot of time waiting to process about 5,000 images. The first fellows who answered me pretty much told me how it was 'supposed' to work. But, I do thank them for responding.

Since I save .XMPs, I didn't lose anything but images that I had put in Collections. Unfortunately, I manage my fine art photos in Collections.

Thanks again.