8 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2016 9:52 AM by gregG500

Dark Prints

gregG500

Hi,

I have an HP Officejet 6500A , when printing from Lightroom 6 my photos are darker then my monitor. If I lower  the screen brightness it's too difficult to view . I tried to brighten the picture in Lightroom Print adjustment and it still not the same as on the monitor. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Greg

• 1. Re: Dark Prints
          Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Hi Greg,

Please calibrate your monitor and printer for precise printing.

Refer How to manage color in Lightroom

Regards,

Akash

• 2. Re: Dark Prints
            gregG500 Level 1

Thank you for responding! I calibrated my monitor and my printed picture is still darker then is develop mode. I watched several videos on how to calibrate just to make sure I was doing it correctly. I’m not sure what else to do? Any more suggestions?

Thank you

Greg

• 3. Re: Dark Prints
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem is that your monitor brightness is set too high. You are adjusting your images to match the brightness on the monitor, but the printer produces a darker image. The only way to adjust that is to adjust the monitor brightness to match the print. Then adjust the brightness on the monitor accordingly.

• 4. Re: Dark Prints
                joachims25232702 Level 1

Try and set the monitor to 80-90 cd/m2. Lower the room light if the monitor appears too dark. Once you have a set of too dark photos, adjust screen brightness to match those.

Another method: Set the histogram to LAB mode and make sure that the region to be seen is set to or above an L value of 50. This is tricky in LR because the WB point magnifier that could be used for that does no average over the pixels it shows. You may need to crop first, adjust that whole photo's L value and the apply that to the non-cropped photo.

• 5. Re: Dark Prints
                  gregG500 Level 1

I have my brightness turned down to 30% and calibrated the monitor, still my printed photos are dark.

Thanks Greg

• 6. Re: Dark Prints
                    gregG500 Level 1

Thank you, I have my monitor turned down to 30 %. I think I might purchase a Colormunki to adjust the screen.

Thank you!

Greg

• 7. Re: Dark Prints
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I wish I had some good suggestions for you. Do you have other software applications you can use to print? If so, do you see the same results? If you have an image that you wouldn't mind sharing, perhaps I could try printing a small print on my system to compare. You could post a link to Dropbox.

• 8. Re: Dark Prints
                        gregG500 Level 1

I tried that , it’s a little better than from Lightroom. I think I’m going to purchase a Colormunki to adjust the screen.

Thanks for your help!

Greg