26 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 4:50 AM by stevens29187206

PhotoShop Plugin

stevens29187206

Hello everybody,

I would be pleased if you can help me, I need to make a plugin that can interact with photoshop so i can execute it from the terminal without needing to open photoshop anymore and deal with a group of images that need to be put in HDR panorama forms. To sum it up, i would know if there is a means that can realize the automata and how. You can ask me more if it's no too clear. Sorry to my poor english

Thank you very much guys!!

• 1. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Photoshop cannot operate unless it is open.

Hotfolder-setups are possible but I am not sure what you are trying to achieve exactly.

• 2. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
            stevens29187206 Level 1

I want to launch Photoshop with a script, and deal with images automatically without any user's intervention. So, i want exactly to run the program, choose the images and run the photoshop's action script.

• 3. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Look up Droplet. Its an executable that will invoke Photoshop and run an action on the files dropped on the droplet.  Perhaps you can start the droplets passing a file to work on. Its seems like it should work. I created on one my desktop and created a shortcut for it.  I edited the shortcut and passed a file to the droplet.exe and it worked on my Windows PC.

Photoshop menu File>Automate>Create Droplet...  The last step of the action I would think should be quit Photoshop.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Will a Droplet work out for merging multiple images? (The OP mentioned HDR panorama.)

• 5. Re: PhotoShop Plugin

The way droplet works normally you drop a file of files onto the droplet and if Photoshop is not open. the Droplet will launch Photoshop  else iy will use the open Photoshop. The droplet passes the file or files for Photoshop to open. However like batch the droplet's Action process the open documents images Photoshop opens from files.  I do not know if Photoshop opens all the files than has the action process them or it Photoshop opens them one at a time for the Action to process.

The droplet exe is created by Photoshop   menu File>Automate>Create Droplet... Its dialog is like File>Automate>Batch.. with an extra section where to save the droplet executable and what to name it. Batch has a source  field fro where the files are from ie Bridge, Opened documents, from a folder. Droplet executable is the source for droplet process. Actions can use scripts so what the action does could be quite complex. If the Action is to create a HDR panorama it will need to process all the required files.  Like Photoshop Photomerge script.

Capture.jpg

With so planing and a well designed process all the the Action may need is for a single document to be passed. The Script the action uses could  find the document backing file and  do something like process all the files in the folder that meet some naming convention or simply process all the image files in that folder.   So I think there may be a way to create that HDR panorama..

I do not use droplets any more.  I had trouble with them in the past.   Even today if I create a droplet in CC 2015. If I close CC 2015 and drop a file on the droplet the droplet will start CC not CC 2014, not CC 2015 which I created the droplet in on my Windows system.   If any version of Photoshop is open and I drop a file on the droplet it will use the open Photoshop.  Only one version of Photoshop can be running on a windows system at any given time.  Mac is different there you can have several version of Photoshop open at a time.

I do not use droplets however, it looks like a droplet could be used by the Op to do  what they want to me.

• 6. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                    stevens29187206 Level 1

Ok. thank you very much. I'm gonna try it and mark your answer as right if it resolve my problem.

• 7. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                      SuperMerlin Level 5

A droplet works on each file in turn so it is not going to work when multiple files are required in Photoshop.

3 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                        stevens29187206 Level 1

There is a problem, I drop the images in the droplet, it launch Photoshop, fine, but don't open the images . I have to re-open it manually.

Note: I have to open the files with Fusion HDR Pro (Which i think is the blockage).

• 9. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                          stevens29187206 Level 1

So, is there any other way???

• 10. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I already mentioned that a Hotfolder setup might be possible.

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=hotfolder

• 11. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                              stevens29187206 Level 1

Ok, thanks. Yes, it's the solution.

Anyway, is there a good tutorial or docs that teaches how to setup hotfolder?

• 12. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                SuperMerlin Level 5

Again there are problems with Hot Folders.

You need to know how many files are required before you act.

One way that could work is have someone create a program that you could drag and drop the requied files on then the program could call a script with the dropped files.

This would be OS dependant.

• 13. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I wrote »might« for a reason – I have not had need to set up such an arrangement myself …

Supermerlin, would a name-based check not be able to filter the files in the folder for (likely) association and collective processing?

• 14. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                    stevens29187206 Level 1

Ok. I think developping my approaches will help.

I have many folders in which there are many images, more than 30 files and this is everyday.

In these 30 files, there are photographs with 3 different exposures each.

These steps are reccurent until processing the 30 files lasts:

I have to take those 3 exposures, and merge them together by the options hdr merge pro.

After that, adjust some settings

Next, Apply Photomatix plugin on it

Save and rename

• 15. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                      SuperMerlin Level 5

A script could monitor, but there must be a way of knowing how many files are required, maybe the filename could hold the number of files but it starts getting very messy and more work to set up. It would be easier doing it manually.

• 16. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                        stevens29187206 Level 1

Ok!!! And if, we don't care about the number of files first. Let's go by step. I'll think about it after.

How will the script like?

• 17. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                          SuperMerlin Level 5

I have just read your process, and it looks as if some of it could be automated.

You might only need a Bridge script, that would do the HDR of the selected files, then you could make your adjustments and save as required.

• 18. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                            stevens29187206 Level 1

Well!

I despair of finding solution.

Could you explain me a bit, the concept of bridge script.

• 19. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                              SuperMerlin Level 5

A script can be written for Bridge that can automate a bit more than the Bridge version. Running actions etc.

Select your files then...

Tools - Photoshop - Merge to HDR Pro..

• 20. Re: PhotoShop Plugin

SuperMerlin wrote:

A droplet works on each file in turn so it is not going to work when multiple files are required in Photoshop.

That is why I wrote the it should be done with a one file trigger.  The Automated process would need to use the document backing files location to fine all the files needed to create the HDR Panorama.  Its would be the responsibility of the process to process all the files not the droplet.  The droplet would just start the ball roiling.

• 21. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                                  stevens29187206 Level 1

Could you redirect me a bit?

• 22. Re: PhotoShop Plugin

I do not do HDR  stuff and use Photoshop Photomerge for easy stuff.  If I were to want to create HDR Panorama I would most likey opt for ar Application designed to do that type of work like autopano giga. 

However, Photoshop scripting is used to do both Merge to HDR Pro abd Photonerge.  These scripts are in Photoshop Presers\Scripts. "Merge To HDR.jsx" and "Photomerge.jsx" both scripts have functions coded in them for other scripts to use.  I would think you should start by looking are these functions to see how to use these.

In Merge To HDR like 512

// Function to call from scripts

mergeToHDR.mergeFilesToHDR = function(filelist, alignFlag, deghostFlag)

Ins Photomerge line 1205

// Use this version to call Photomerge from a script.

photomerge.createPanorama = function(filelist, displayDialog)

• 23. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                                      stevens29187206 Level 1

Yes, I'm using Photoshop for the hdr merge pro with the tone mapping plugin. After I use Autopano Giga for creating Panorama.

I'll go looking at those scripts and get you feedback.

Thanks a lot

• 24. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                                        stevens29187206 Level 1

I got the whole code. It is about 900 lines.

Would you help me to personalize it.

I want it to:

take 3 photos directly in a specified folder without browse in it everytime and manually

open them

choose a preset setting

and run the hdr process

• 25. Re: PhotoShop Plugin

You would need to write a new script that you would include Photoshop's Merge to HDR script in.  Create the list of files you want to process through merge to hdr then use the function

mergeToHDR.mergeFilesToHDR = function(filelist, alignFlag, deghostFlag)

You may want to look at the script "PhotoMergeFolders.jsx" less than 50 lines of code.  It does something like you want to do with merge to hdr but with  Photomerge.

It is is quite like what you want to do with  merge to hdr.  If you want a custom script you need to create it yourself or pay a programmer to create one for you. You should now have all the help you need.

• 26. Re: PhotoShop Plugin
                                                            stevens29187206 Level 1

Thanks!!!!!!!