9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 1:25 PM by wincelow

Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13

ScoobyDo63

I have two video tracks from a two camera shoot of a school play that I am editing together into one. I am using one as the primary video track and the other as a wide shot cutaway. I would like to see both video tracks play simultaneously side-by-side at the top of the edit screen so that I can more easily choose which shot to use. How can I make this happen?

[Moved from Premiere Pro to Premiere Elements... Mod]

• 1. Re: Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Multi-camera editing is not a feature or Premiere Elements, Scooby. And, in fact, there's no easy way to edit multicamera video in Premiere Elements.

Premiere Pro does have this feature, as do most Pro video editors. About the only under $100 program I know that does multicamera editing is CyberLink PowerDirector -- which has an excellent multi-cam feature!

• 2. Re: Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13
            ImageOregon Level 1

Davinci Resolve is free and it does multicamera .

• 4. Re: Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13
              ImageOregon Level 1

I think the OP means he wants to sync sound and two cameras which shot from different angles at the same time. This requires syncing at least frames if not time codes and is not something you can do in a split screen for final product. I have just switched to PE14 and for most things I've found it to be a really good tool. What the OP is asking is done well in Davinci  Resolve (which is free and very powerful but significantly harder to use and requires a very, very powerful desk top (I7, 16 gigs memory, and a 2 meg. GPU to run well). As Steve says PowerDirector (which I have not used) also does it. For true multi camera editing you are moving into professional level editing (color grading is very important if you use two cameras) which is probably beyond Elements and would require PRO if you want to stay with Adobe (cloud only). 

• 5. Re: Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If both camera's been shooting in one long shot you can do this with a PIP (picture in Picture) setup after you synced up the footage first. You can do this visually with the audio waveform. (nudging clips: ALT+left/right).

If they are all short clips this will require some more work.

After cutting remove the PIP settings.

I used to do that this way (or split screen) before Premiere Pro got a multicam feature.

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13
                  YingyingFeil Level 1

Step1. Synchronize the two videos.

Move both videos (from the two cameras) to the editing window, select all four tracks (two video tracks and two audio tracks) and right click, then click on "Synchronize", and select "audio". Then the two videos will be synchronized by their audio. And now you can cut of any piece that you don't want to be included in the video.

Step 2. position the two videos with the PiPs effect.

Under "Effect", click on "Presets", and then "PiPs" (Picture in pictures), then "25% PiPs", drag LL (LowerLeft) to the video track that you want the video to show on the left side, this will make that video show up on the screen, centering LL at a 25% size of the full screen. Then drag LR (LowerRight) to the other video track that you want to show on the right side. this will make that video show up on the screen, centering LR at a 25% size of the full screen.

Step3. Adjust the size and position of the two videos.

Click on the video track that is on the LL, Go to "Effect Controls", click on the "fx Motion", change the scale from "25.0" to "50", this will change the video size to half of the screen size. And then play with the numbers in position setting until the video is position right in the center of the left size of the screen.

Then do the same thing to the other video track. Click on the video track that is on the LR, Go to "Effect Controls", click on the "fx Motion", change the scale from "25.0" to "50", this will change the video size to half of the screen size. And then play with the numbers in position setting until the video is position right in the center of the right size of the screen.

There you go. Perfectly synced and positioned side by side.

2 people found this helpful
                  • 8. Re: Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

YingyingFeil scenario is for Premiere Pro not Premiere Elements.

• 9. Re: Editing a two camera shoot in Premiere Elements 13
                      wincelow Level 1

The synchronisation of audio part (step 1) can't be done in Premiere Elements, but everything else certainly can. I'd managed to do step 1 myself by editing together numerous angles of the same video to the same sound. I'm now editing the various angles into a single video much quicker using the method above, thanks.