15 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 2:27 PM by Richard Southworth

Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

Chaznsf

I want to make adjustments in Camera RAW (typically, to reduce noise) and then open in Photoshop so I can add a watermark and save as a JPEG.  I have noticed that when I try to do this, the file that opens in Photoshop has lost all of the adjustments I made in RAW. 

I'm using Photoshop CS6 and RAW 9.1 on a Mac running OSX Yosemite.

After making the adjustments in RAW, I click on Open Image to open in Photoshop.  Typically, the image that opens looks like no changes were made in RAW.  I've also tried clicking on Save Image and saving as a new file, but again, the changes disappear.

What am I doing wrong?  Admittedly, I am a somewhat new user and may be making a very simple mistake.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
          Richard Southworth Level 3

Experiment - make changes in raw and click on Done, which should bake in the changes and close ACR without going into Photoshop.  Now re-open the raw file and see if the changes are still there.  If not, then there is some issue with your system/setup.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
            Chaznsf Level 1

Thanks, Richard.   That did work.  The changes were there both when I reopened the raw file in ACR and when I saved the image as a JPEG and opened it in Photoshop.

So . . . I'm baffled.  It seems that the problem may be limited to situations in which I am reducing noise in ACR.  When I do that, I can see the noise is reduced when the file is still open in ACR, but when I then try to open it in Photoshop , it is as noisy as before I made any changes.    I'd like to be able to end up with a JPEG file with the noise reduced, as it was when I edited it in ACR.

• 3. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

I'm having some trouble understanding your workflow.  If you apply noise reduction in ACR, viewing at 100% to get an accurate assessment of the adjustments, and then open directly in Photoshop (not first creating a jpeg) are the changes visible in Photoshop, again at 100% view?

If you're doing a SAVE out of ACR to a jpeg, then check your sharpening settings by clicking on the workflow link at the bottom of ACR, you may be adding noise back as part of the sharpening.

Perhaps you could give us screenshots of your ACR preferences and the workflow options.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
                Chaznsf Level 1

Richard:

Yes as to your first question.  I apply noise reduction at 100% in ACR, then click on Open, which causes the file to open in Photoshop.  In Photoshop at 100% I do not see the noise reduction.

I really don't  understand your second paragraph regarding adding noise back.  But typically I don't do a save out of ACR.  I only did it in this instance because I was having trouble with the noise showing up when I clicked Open in ACR.

I'm attaching a screenshot of my workflow options.  I'm not sure where to access "ACR preferences."  Sorry . . . I am a beginner.Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 5.21.29 PM.png

• 5. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

I had to fire up another pc in order to run CS6, to make sure I'm giving you correct info.  ACR preferences can be set either in Bridge or ACR - in ACR click on the menu icon just to the left of the two rotate symbols at the top right of the ACR window.  I suggest you post a screen shot of these before we go much further.

To recap, you believe only ACR noise reduction settings are being "ignored" when opening a file in Photoshop, all other ACR adjustments, exposure, contrast, etc. are coming through?

Richard Southworth

• 6. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
                    Chaznsf Level 1

You are correct.

I'm attaching a screen shot of my preferences.

Thanks for your diligence! 

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 9.09.25 PM.png

• 7. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

Nothing appears amiss, not sure where to go next.  I suggest you create a very noisy image, i.e. shooting at iso 6400 or whatever it takes to create extreme noise.  Bring that image into ACR, go to the noise adjustments, move Luminance to 100, so that you should end up with an obviously over corrected image, one that is very "plastic" and smooth looking.  Then open into Photoshop, see what you have.  The goal is to create a situation where a subtle difference in viewing can't possibly hide the adjustment.  Perhaps post some 100% view screenshots of a portion of the image, before and after noise reduction in ACR, and then the same portion in Photoshop, again at 100%.

Per my earlier comment wrt sharpening - applying sharpening will accentuate noise as well as the desired effect on edges.

Richard Southworth

• 8. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
                        Chaznsf Level 1

I tried this and, of course, the changes are now very obvious in Photoshop.  I'm not sure why I can't reproduce the problem.  Is it possible that there is, as you say, just a viewing difference in Photoshop that shows up when the noise reduction is less extreme?  Or, if I've made changes in addition to just increasing the luminance to 100?

The screen shots are below.  This is a very noisy image taken at 6400 ISO, part of the series that I was trying to edit.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 1.58.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-25 at 1.58.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-25 at 1.59.57 AM.png

• 9. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

Glad to see you're narrowing the definition of the problem.  Perhaps somebody more versed in Mac Photoshop configuration can come up with a reason.  You might try going into Photoshop preferences, Performance, and turn off the graphics processor, if that option is available as it is for a Windows installation.  I assume ACR and PS are viewed on the same monitor.

Are you running any automatic scripts as an image is brought into Photoshop, or something else outside of a strictly Adobe installation?  Is your monitor calibrated and profiled?  Not sure why it would matter, but the difference is subtle enough so that it may be some system abnormality.  Does the difference show up enough for normal noise reduction so that you could post more images to illustrate?

Richard Southworth

• 10. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not quite sure because you're using the older PS/ACR combo, but it may be that the downsampling algorithm for screen display when the zoom level is less than 100% isn't the same in ACR and PS and when you have residual noise in the image, ACR smooths it out more than PS with the zoom is less than 100%.

A way to test this would be to reduce the noise in ACR how you were originally--not the Lum=100 plastic look, where it looks ok in ACR zoomed out, then zoom in to 100% and see how much noise is still there, then open that in PS, and see what it looks like, then zoom in to 100% and see if the noise is comparable to what you say in ACR at 100%. 

If the answer to that last question, that there is residual noise in PS and it looks the same in ACR at 100%, then you just have to zoom in to 100% when editing in ACR to ensure accurate feedback on how much noise reduction you're applying.

• 11. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

Per Reply #4, the OP claims he is doing the comparison at ACR 100% and PS 100%.

Richard Southworth

• 12. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
                                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And maybe they've turned off sharpening since them?

• 13. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

Worked that one also, his prefs show sharpening on all images, not just preview.  His later post shows ACR sharpening at default levels.  I haven't noted any instance where his is not doing a fair comparison.  Next step is to post some images at normal noise reduction, so we have a chance to see what he is seeing.

Richard Southworth

• 14. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop
                                    Chaznsf Level 1

Richard:   I am not aware of any automatic scrips as the photo is brought into Photoshop, or anything else outside of ACR and Photoshop.   I certainly haven't sent any up.

My monitor is not calibrated and profiled.  I am editing on my laptop and I haven't done anything to calibrate the laptop monitor to Photoshop.   Both Photoshop and ACR are being viewed on the same monitor.

I will try turning off the graphics processor and also see if I can find some less noisy images to post as examples. 

Thanks!

• 15. Re: Changes made in RAW are lost when opening in Photoshop

You can use the same image as before, just move the slider to where you normally would, I assume to just barely smooth the image at 100%.  Then give us 100% shots after noise reduction both in ACR and PS to demonstrate your concern.

Laptops are notorious for screen issues, even Macs.  A slight difference in viewing angle, etc. can give different effects.  There should be a system level display profile, check Display under System Preferences.

Richard Southworth