11 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2016 11:04 AM by colinj63171484

INCREMENTAL BACKUPS

colinj63171484

I am an abandoned Aperture user. Apart from Mac Time Machine backups I have been in the habit of doing separate incremental back ups of my photograph Library using Aperture's 'Vaults'. I am not clear from the website whether Lightroom does incremental back ups of either 1) its catalogues or, separately, 2) its edited photographs. Can someone clarify this for me please?

Being stuck with Apple's Photo at present, it does not have Vaults or do incremental back ups, I do not like having to erase my photograph Library back up and do a new complete backup each time I want to update. Firstly I have temporarily lost this back up and secondly it takes a long time to replace.

• 1. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Colinj,

Please check the following link: Which Lightroom files do I need to back up? | The Lightroom Queen

Let me know if it helps.

Regards

Tanuj

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom DOES NOT back up your images. You need to devise your own backup scheme for backing up your photos. Every time Lightroom does a backup it backs up the catalog that is in use. That is the only file that Lightroom automatically backs up. It is a complete backup, not incremental. So you might want to retain a few copies. However, you'll probably want to go to the backup folder occasionally and delete older backups. I use another backup system to backup my images and other important personal files.

• 3. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
              colinj63171484 Level 1

Tanuj, thank you for your reply. I had not seen The Lightroom Queen site and have been scanning through it. Being interested in photography, not computers, my initial reaction is that this is a bit of a nightmare but I will persist.

Thanks again.

Colin

• 4. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
                colinj63171484 Level 1

Jim, if it isn't backing up my images what is it backing up? Being non tech as far as computers in general are concerned I think I must be missing something.

Are you differentiating between what I call 'photographs' and you call 'images'? Or are you saying the back ups go to a hard drive not Lightroom? My question was how does Lightroom handle back ups regardless of where they are stored.

Regards

Colin

• 5. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
                  colinj63171484 Level 1

Jim, on reflection I think I was thrown by ' DOES NOT back up your images'. I suspect what you are saying is that it does not back up ALL of my images only the catalogue (possibly Album in my world) in use.

• 6. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR backs up its catalog file. That file is a Database file. Your images are not IN LR. They are referenced from where they are stored on your hard drives in the LR catalog file.

• 7. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS

First of all, surely you understand that your images are not "in" Lightroom. Your images are stored in folders on your computer or on external hard drives. The catalog is the main file Lightroom creates. The catalog keeps track of where your images are located, and records all of the adjustments made to your images. It is a database. It is the ONLY file that Lightroom backs up when it goes through the backup process. You need to use other software to devise a backup for your images. It's best if you backup your catalog and your images to a second hard drive. I have a 5 TB external hard drive that I use to backup all of my images. I also have Lightroom configured to create the backup of the catalog on that external hard drive.

Lightroom is a software program. It does not consume your photographs (i.e. images) nor does it consume the backup files. It creates backup files that are separate and need to be managed somehow. I usually try to keep a half-dozen or so catalog backups. And I have my computer configured to backup my photographs (images) and other important personal files on a weekly basis. All of these backups exist outside of Lightroom. I don't know where you got the idea that backups were contained within the Lightroom program.

• 8. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
                        colinj63171484 Level 1

Yes. I was only trying to establish whether the backups are incremental.

• 9. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
                          colinj63171484 Level 1

Jim, SURE I understand where the backups go, as in Aperture/Photo/ etc,etc. This is what I am used to ,also with Time Machine.I was simply questioning your first reply which wrongly said 'Lightroom does not back up your images'. I am not familiar with Lightroom hence my original question simply whether it does incremental backups.I gather it doesn't, end of story.

• 10. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS

OK, I apologize. I didn't mean to seem arrogant or to be talking down to you. But just to clarify. There is no incremental backup by Lightroom. Lightroom does not backup your photographs. Lightroom DOES backup the catalog as it exists at the time the backup is performed. It is a complete backup, but only of the Lightroom catalog. So, after a while, you can start deleting older backups because they are not incremental.

• 11. Re: INCREMENTAL BACKUPS
                              colinj63171484 Level 1

Jim, thanks for your help, we got off track but my question is answered .I back up pretty much the way you do, using more than one external drive because I back up the system using incremental Time Machine and also ,separately, Photos. But  as I said the Photos back up, unlike Aperture, requires a complete new back up every time I want to update and it is a pain. I hoped Lightroom would be like Aperture/Time Machine but no such luck! Deleting older backups is what Time Machine does when the external drive is full, replacing old with new automatically.

I understand a lot of the mechanics of various systems but I had not been able to nail Lightroom's system, until now

Thanks again

Colin