2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2006 12:45 PM by FlashForumName

masks

FlashForumName Level 1
      I am using a mask to mask a movieclip. The user clicks on a slidebar and the mask moves, that all works fine. The problem comes when I try to load something different into the movie that is being masked. Is it not possible to keep masking the same movieclip which loads different external swf's with the same mask? Thanks in advance.
        • 1. Re: masks
          Level 7
          "FlashForumName" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:e57cft$276$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am using a mask to mask a movieclip. The user clicks on a slidebar and the
          > mask moves, that all works fine. The problem comes when I try to load
          > something different into the movie that is being masked. Is it not possible to
          > keep masking the same movieclip which loads different external swf's with the
          > same mask? Thanks in advance.

Yes, but you must use setMask AFTER the file is finished loading like this..

this.createEmptyMovieClip("holder",100);
          loadMovie("external.swf", holder);
          id1 = setInterval(preloader, 100);

function preloader()
          {
          var gbt = holder.getBytesTotal();
          if (gbt < 20) // requires more than empty clip size
          return;

var gbl = holder.getBytesLoaded();
          if (gbl == gbt)
          {
          clearInterval(id1);
          holder.setMask(maskthing);
          }
          }

tralfaz

• 2. Re: masks
            FlashForumName Level 1
            I was able to come up with a work around but I will keep this in mind for the future. Thanks again.