12 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 6:43 AM by Szalam

Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead

Gutter-Fish Level 4

When I opened AE this afternoon my project audio suddenly started playing a full second ahead of where it actually is placed in the timeline.

When I started a new project and imported the same audio the timing was correct.

When I opened an older project that I'd finished last week the audio was a second ahead.

I opened an even older project and that audio is also a full second ahead.

The timing (or mistiming) stays consistent throughout the length of the audio as far as I can tell.

I started a new project again just to double check and the audio is fine.

Any ideas?

This is somewhat urgent.

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Other than the standard purge everything and select the layers giving you problem and press the u key twice to reveal all modified properties to look for problems I don't have any suggestions. Do you have automatic backups turned on? Maybe check one of those.

• 2. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

Thanks Rick,

I discovered that if I hide every visual layer (every single one) the audio plays fine.   I did vary turning layers on and off to try and isolate a problem layer but I have to turn off every layer except the audio.

I started a new project again, imported audio and everything was fine.

I created a shape layer and brought in an .ai file...everything fine.

I created some keyframes on the footage....everything fine.

I precomposed those layers...everything fine

I brought in .mov file which was the last thing I imported to my current project and the audio started playing a second ahead.

I turned off vis of that file and all was fine.

I went back to my current project, turned off the vis of that file and the audio was still busted.

I deleted it....still busted

Started a new project again and brought in other .mov files....audio played fine.

From one of my older projects that played the audio a second ahead when i tested it,  I imported every piece of footage associated

with that file and audio played fine.

It's very strange...in a new project the problem seems isolated to that one particular .mov file (which I created this morning).

But back in my current project the deletion of that file has no effect on correcting the audio.

Also when I open older projects (I've tested three so far) the audio is one second ahead (approx)

The only thing I have not tried is a render to see what thew audio does.

I'm baffled.

• 3. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Also I opened an auto save file of my current project from yesterday and the audio was a second ahead.

• 4. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                Gutter-Fish Level 4

So when I render a small part of the project the audio plays correctly even though it is playing incorrectly inside of after effects while working.

This kind of sucks because A) it is weird & B) it means I cannot simply adjust the placement of my audio file while working because when I render the audio will be lagging.

• 5. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

I rebooted windows and the problem is gone!!

Anyone have a theory on this?

• 6. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I assume you know the admonition against using compressed audio in AE.  If you've got some, convert to wav or aiff.

• 7. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

Hi Dave,

I've seen many times people advising against the use of .mp3s in AE but I have never seen any reason given other than "AE does not like them".  I have been using them (mp3's) for almost a year and a half (around 130 completed projects) and never had a problem.  The reason I use them is because often when saving my edits as .wav or .aiff I would get glitches in the resulting files.  Mp3s were the only file type that consistently gave me flawless audio.

The "raw" audio files I receive from my client vary.  They are sometimes .wav, sometimes .aiff & sometimes .mp3.  After i edit them I always render tham as .mp3 for the reasons stated above.  Also if you read through the trouble shooting I did you will see the problem was very weird and didn't seem to have any logic to it.

The reboot of windows has corrected it at least for now.

I appreciate your response though.

Paul

• 8. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                        Gutter-Fish Level 4

If in the future I converted my edited mp3s to to a more acceptable format would it make a difference?  Or would the compression problems of the mp3 be transferred over to the new file?

• 9. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

There is no rhyme or reason to it but AE sometimes gets flaky dealing with compressed audio,  It's no big deal to open an mp3 in Audition and export an uncompressed wav or aiff.  Why, I bet Adobe Media Encoder could even do batches of them; haven't tried it, so I don't know.

Consider the conversion of compressed audio like carrying an umbrella on a cloudy day.  It may be a little inconvenient to carry it, but you'd regret not having one if the skies open up.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I never use MP3 in production. Decoding the audio is just too unreliable. You do not add quality to the original audio but you do get more reliable deciding and if you need to manipulate the audio you have more bits and samples to work with.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Thanks you both for your time,

I guess in the future I will re-encode my edited MP3s in Audition or AME just to get in the habit of using proper files.

For whatever reason my experience with AECC 2014 is that it has problems encoding .wav & .aiff and often results in glitching.

Paul

• 12. Re: Audio suddenly playing over a second ahead
                                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dave LaRonde wrote:

I bet Adobe Media Encoder could even do batches of them; haven't tried it, so I don't know.

It does.