Digital Edition has no access to the server. Check the Firewall or other Securtiy Programs. Also add the Program as sure program to the security programms.
2 people found this helpful
I read through other similar posts and found one that said they uninstalled 4.5 and installed 3.0 instead. I did that and was able to authorize ADE (no problem connecting to the internet) and download eBooks from our library again.
Fine that you can solved your problem.
THE problem is that version 3.0 cannot deal with the new file type ACSM that our library's service provider (Overdrive) has recently switched to. That was WHY I updated to 4.5.2. It previously used ePUB which worked fine for ~18 months, but the problem is still active in my case.
That worked in that it allowed me to get past the Activation Server and authorize my computer, but now no matter whether I try and use version 3.0 (cannot connect to fulfillment server) or 4.5.2 (Error!: check activation) I still cannot get either to add the file to my library despite having downloaded it and placed it in the correct directory.
I'm having this same problem. I've deleted all Adobe files on my computer and installed 3.0, but still getting the message "Connection error detected. Digital editions could not connect to the fulfillment center. Please make sure you are connected to the internet." Obviously I'm connected to the internet because I'm writing this.
None of the prior steps helped me at all. However, what I just did that worked was to delete ALL versions of ADE on my computer and reinstall version 4.0.
I had updated from v3.0 to v4.5.2 to deal with the ASCM files type but got in the same endless loop of failure to authorize or failure to connect to authentication server, both errors (falsely) suggesting I was not connect to the internet.
The registry editing, DE-authorizing/re-authorizing, shutting down windows firewall/Norton antivirus etc. just cycled me through these error messages without solving the problem.
I don't even know when v4.0 was downloaded or if it was automatic at some point, but by uninstalling v3.0 and v4.5 and selectively installing v4.0 everything worked the way it should.
I must say I found the chat people with whom you connect when you click the Help tab in ADE was worthless (actually worse than worthless since the snarkily pointed out it was free if necessary software and therefor not supported) and the Forum articles simply cycled me through useless and sometimes scary (deactivating all my PC's security features) steps without resolving the problem.
V4.0 works as it should. Now I just have to figure out how to assure it will not auto-update and put me back in server failure hell.
Hope this helps others. Good Luck out there...
did you ever find a solution to this