3 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2016 9:45 AM by Pariah Burke

Automate Content To Layout

Motoed-Work Level 1

I've looked at a lot of the automation tutorials and it seems like they are limited to doing stuff like a mail merge or making a bunch of different final pieces with customized information.

What I have is an excel sheet, it has a list of titles and a list of data that belongs under each title. I'd like to figure out how to do some sort of automation to take data that is formatted like the example below and output in InDesign similar to the display on the left.

Does anyone know if this is possible and maybe a link to some info for me to follow up on researching?

Line Card Automation Example.PNG

• 1. Re: Automate Content To Layout
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is possible with Datamege, although each of your sets would be in its own text box. 

You would have to change your Excel sheet to look like this

Screenshot 2016-05-24 17.03.53.png

There are scripts available to merge all the separate text boxes, I think, but haven't used one, so I don't have it close at hand.

If I find it, I'll post the link to this thread later.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Automate Content To Layout
            Motoed-Work Level 1

I think the "own text box" might be the deal breaker for what I'm looking at.

I'm looking at trying to automate a full document with the Titles inline that I can style. I'll have to look at another method, maybe I want to look into importing to Access and output a marked up text file that I could import in as a story and then apply style sheets to it.

• 3. Re: Automate Content To Layout
              Pariah Burke Adobe Community Professional

What about using a third-party automation utility to copy and paste rapidly and in sequence? Consider using Applescript (VBScript on Windows) or have a look at Keyboard Maestro .

1 person found this helpful