7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2016 3:59 AM by Just Shoot Me

LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG

fs1010

After upgraded to 5.7.1 I found that all my NEF files were changed into DNG format and all photos are missing.  I could not locate the files and search for nearby photos to make change because the file format on my disc are NEF while the photos in LR are DNG. Huge effort would be made to make my LR back to work if there is no easy way to solve the problem. Need help urgently!

• 1. Re: LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Shut down LR. Restart your computer. Open LR and check.

LR will not auto change file extensions, or at least I've never heard of it happening.

Go to the File menu item and select Open Recent. How many catalogs are listed.

• 2. Re: LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There has to be another part to this story. Lightroom does not automatically, on its own, change NEF files to DNG files. There is an option in the import dialog, top center, where you can specify to have Lightroom "Copy as DNG". But you have to intentionally choose that option in order for that to happen. But don't panic. You can do the same thing to the DNG files that you could have done to the NEF files. I think you just need to review what really happened and adjust your workflow as needed.

• 3. Re: LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG
              fs1010 Level 1

Thank you so much.

I found that the missing files (with .dng) in LR5.7 were on my Mac HD under the "picture" folder instead of on the external disc where I imported the photo files to LR. I might have deleted some of the "picture" folder to release memory space on my Mac HD the same day when I upgraded to LR5.7.1. Could LR did not find the file and then changed the file type from NEF to dng? ( I use Nikon camera shooting in RAW, the file type is NEF)

If this is the cause, What can I do? I made a lot of work on the photos that became missing, now with extension of .dng.

The Catalog I checked is correct one I used. Relaunching LR does not change anything.

• 4. Re: LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG
                dj_paige Level 9

fs1010 wrote:

Could LR did not find the file and then changed the file type from NEF to dng? ( I use Nikon camera shooting in RAW, the file type is NEF)

No.

Lightroom does not do this on its own. The only time files would be converted from NEF to DNG is when the user specifically commands Lightroom to do this.

If this is the cause, What can I do? I made a lot of work on the photos that became missing, now with extension of .dng.

As Jim said, there must be more to the story. Have you used Lightroom to search your entire library for the NEF version of your photos? Can you show us screen captures of the problem -- at least 2 screen captures are needed, one showing what you see in Lightroom and one showing what you see in your operating systeme.

• 5. Re: LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG

To restate what others have posted.

Lightroom will not auto change files from one type, file extension, to a different type, file extension. So it was not LR by itself that changed your NEF files to DNG files. Only you the user can do that from inside LR using the Convert Photo to DNG option in the Library menu option in the Library module or by using the stand alone Adobe DNG converter program.

Have you searched your drives for the file extension .NEF? If not give that a try. If there are no NEF files on your computer then it was you that converted them.

No worries the DNG files are just as good as the proprietary Nikon NEF files.

Also by chance did you start a new catalog and then re-import all your images and possibly select Copy As DNG in the import dialog window. That too would of copied the images from your external drive to your internal drive and converted them from NEF files to DNG files.

If you go to the File menu item and look at "Open Recently"  is there more than one catalog listed?

• 6. Re: LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG
                    fs1010 Level 1

Thank you very much! According to what you explained, I think I might have imported photos from external HD to LR with "copy as DNG" and paid no attention to it. A few days ago I found my Mac HD was filled quickly and then deleted (what I thought)  were "unwanted and duplicated" files in the "pictures" folder. Are the copied files, as dng files stored in the "pictures" folder on Mac HD?

I checked that all photos showing normally in LR are all dng files in the "pictures" folder while those missing photos are not in the "pictures" folder.

Was this the possible reason for the missing photos? If this is it, how can I get back all the retouches I made to the dng files and copy to NEF files that I can import from external HD with "add" selection?

• 7. Re: LR5.7.1 automatically changed my file format from NEF to DNG

fs1010 wrote:

Are the copied files, as dng files stored in the "pictures" folder on Mac HD?

Only you would know that.

fs1010 wrote:

I checked that all photos showing normally in LR are all dng files in the "pictures" folder while those missing photos are not in the "pictures" folder.

Was this the possible reason for the missing photos? If this is it, how can I get back all the retouches I made to the dng files and copy to NEF files that I can import from external HD with "add" selection?

Is your external drive connected and functioning properly. You need to use FINDER Finder icon.PNG

to see if your external drive is being seen and to see if your NEF files are on it. This is something YOU need to do.