3 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2017 12:47 PM by Andremb1984

Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem

bhtech

Hello,

I have Adobe InDesign Creative Cloud (Version 11.2.0.34 x64 build) installed on a windows 7 Professional PC. In Adobe InDesign I am receiving the error mentioned in the title when I try to print to my local and/or network printer connected to the computer, or print to PDF.

The Document will save or print if in the print menu I go to Graphics > Images> select "None"

Other user accounts on the same computer are able to print to printers and to PDF normally.

I have tried re-creating the InDesign preferences files as suggested in The Adobe Print Engine fails error in InDesign but that did not resolve the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem
          bhtech Level 1

As a follow up, I spoke with Adobe support, they have arranged a call back. They did note that there were 3 linked files in the document that were inaccessible due to permissions issues (created on another computer, and they referenced files stored there). I removed those links, but attempting to print yielded the same results. The support technician then had me attempt to package the file and save it locally, which resulted in a message that it "cannot copy necessary linked file(s)"

We then attempted to copy the contents on the document in question to a new document and print that, that also failed with the same print engine has filed message as previously.

• 2. Re: Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem
            bhtech Level 1

after closing InDesign a log file is displayed in notepad relating to the failed print, one example:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

%%[Page: 1]%%

%%[ Error: ioerror; OffendingCommand: readstring ]%%

Stack:

(› PoÈsKÖn µÐY5Âê2¢ ÷Fmø-êíöYJ

øR½=Ö¤%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

• 3. Re: Printing Error: The Adobe Print Engine has failed to output your data due to an unknown problem
              Andremb1984

I have recently had this issue in my environment. I am the IT guy and a few people on our design team were getting the error. It turns out the problem was Employee 1 didn't have access to files the were linked in the In design file.

So what happen is Employee 2 created the Indesign File and saved it to a shared network resource but they didn't realize when creating the file and added image links to files that were not shared. So when Employee 1 open the file from the share everything looked fine but when they printed they receive the error.

Once I gave Employee 1 access to the folders that Employee 2 had everything was fixed.