14 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 12:49 AM by bradl50095807

Help with making it look night through the window

bradl50095807 Level 1

http://imgur.com/UxWt9o5 

This is a screenshot from a scene i'm editing.

I need help to make it look like it is night time which means making it look dark through the window. I have tried various thing but im fairly new to after effects

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some folks (such as myself) can't access Imgur due to restrictions on the network where we work. If you upload your image directly to the forum (there's a picture icon right above the text box where you type your reply that lets you insert images), we can see those and offer help.

• 2. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
            squidkings Level 1

Easiest would be to shoot with same angle and focal length at night and mask and insert footage. Second easiest would be search day for night and pick one or try several. Most of the day for night,  the exposure it the critical aspect to get best results. If its a low budget affair you may consider just blanking out the window with black if nothing important is going on out there.

• 3. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
              bradl50095807 Level 1

My bad, i didnt know. Here is the image...Screenshot_6.png

• 4. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any chance you could reshoot with something covering that window (or shoot at night)?

That's going to be really tough to get it to look right.

Do we need to see what's happening outside the window or do you just want it to seem like night time?

If you use that same shot, you're going to have to do some rotoscoping and/or luma keying to isolate the window and replace the image with something night-ish looking. You can't simply color grade the footage because it's blown out.

• 5. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                  bradl50095807 Level 1

No chance to reshoot unfortunatly and there is nothing ouside the window. Just need it to have a night time feel.

• 6. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                    squidkings Level 1

Is the camera locked down, and do you have a frame of the room without the actor? Just mask the back wall and fill the window with dark color and paint in some muttons if your really ambitious. Add the masked actor and door jam footage. You may want inform the director and producer what Roman Polanski did with a door jam in Rosemary's Baby.

• 7. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                      bradl50095807 Level 1

I didnt get a frame without the actor unforunatly

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                        squidkings Level 1

Use the pen tool to mask out the back wall and around the actor. Punch out the back wall and window. Draw a shape of the back wall with a black rectangle as the window. Stack the Shape behind the actor and door jamb footage.

• 9. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                          bradl50095807 Level 1

I can try. Im new to after effects so is there a video that i can follow to help? Thanks

• 10. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                            squidkings Level 1

Search help for pen tool and masks. Then its stacking the separate layers. you may have to change the mask anchor points if the actor moves. Time to roll up your sleeves and git er done.

• 11. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                              bradl50095807 Level 1

So once i have gone around the actor, what do i do?

• 12. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                                squidkings Level 1

go around the back wall excluding the actor. Select the pen path select make mask. You may have to invert the mask to get it to cut out the window and the wall. Then use the pen to draw a shape of the wall and window. Put the shape behind the footage layer and trim the mask to account for any movement. your wall and window shape can be a little larger than the original wall n window.

• 13. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are about a half dozen approaches to your problem. If the camera is moving then things are a lot more complicated for a newbie. Let me run down a couple of scenarios. The first thing you have to decide when you do such a drastic recolor of a scene is where is the light coming from. The second thing you have to decide is how do I deal with motion in the scene. I'm going to assume the most basic scenario - only the actor is moving. Let's start analyzing your shot:

If only the actor is moving then your first job is to separate the actor from the background so you can treat him differently than his surroundings. That means you need to start by duplicating the footage layer.

You will also need to replace the window. That means another duplicate with a mask around the window so it is on a separate layer.

Then you have to decide how you are going to handle the walls and the door. You may end up with a bunch of masked layers that look like this:

layers.png

Each color represents a separate layer. There is so little contrast in your shot that you'll probably have to use manual rotoscoping to cut out your actor. You will also need some kind of night scene to replace the window.

Once the layers are separated you can start color grading each layer. You'll want to add some gradients to simulate light falloff and probably a colored layer to simulate light coming from the bathroom. You'll have to figure out what to do about the reflections on the door and door jam.

The hardest part of the project if the camera is on a tripod and locked down will be the roto work on your actor. The rest will take some experimentation.

Here's my take on your shot. Take a careful look at the effects used and the layers. I moved the timeline to the left of the comp panel so you could see the layers and the effects used. It would take a couple more layers and some blend mode tricks to get it to the point where I would really believe that the shot was taken at night. This is just a rough proof of concept that I may send to a client for some initial feedback (but only if the client was familiar with the visual effects process). I'm simulating a small light above the actor and a streetlight outside the window using a lens flair.

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.09.49 PM.png

To learn about the effects type the effect name in the search help field at the top right corner of AE. To learn about Rotobrush type rotobrush in the search help field. You will never learn how to use it by just poking around. I couldn't and I've been doing visual effects for 4 decades. I'm not sure that rotobrush will work with your footage so you may have to roto by hand. Here's a quick tutorial on how to do that.

If your camera is moving you will have to learn all about Stabilize Motion (the proper term for search) or Camera Tracking and the project just got a lot more complicated.

If I had this shot from a client and it was 10 seconds I'll bill them a day. If I had been on set supervising the visual effects it would take half that long.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Help with making it look night through the window
                                    bradl50095807 Level 1

You made it look perfect. Dont kniw if i cab copy it but i will have a go. You should have made a timelapse of what you did so i could have copied you exactly lol