4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2016 8:55 AM by VWu

"Tagged Annotations - Failed" for links in footers

VWu Level 1

Hi all dear accessibility experts,

I have footnotes on master page which contains cross reference links, I want it to be clickable, but not showing in tagged annotations-failed error, is it possible?

(I have made the footnotes artifacts, but I want the link stays in the footnotes)

I'm thinking maybe I can process PDF in acrobat preflight, but if I remove all links annotations it will also affect the index and TOC I created, so I can't...

I have been doing research but can't find anything related to my question.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: "Tagged Annotations - Failed" for links in footers
          a_C_student Level 3

Hi VWu,

What is your rationale for making the footnotes artifacts? Presumably the footnotes provide information, and that information should be available to assistive technology users as well as users who experience the visual representation of the document. Link annotations cannot be marked as artifacts, and will cause the error that you are experiencing. Please consider tagging the footnotes as real content.

a 'C' student

• 2. Re: "Tagged Annotations - Failed" for links in footers
            VWu Level 1

Hi a "C" Student,

Sorry I was not talking about footnotes, I mean footers.

The footers are repetitive in the section on over 100 pages.

From my understanding, the first repetitive footer/header should be tagged but the rest should be artifacts.

I have made them artifacts but I want the links remained in the PDF to be clickable,

however if I do not tag them as Link it will create "Tagged Annotations - Failed" error.

VWu

• 3. Re: "Tagged Annotations - Failed" for links in footers
              a_C_student Level 3

Ah, OK. Unfortunately I do not know of a good solution for this common problem. The usual advice is to not put links in repeating footers. But for the most part I do not own the documents I remediate, and if the document owner insists on a link in the footer I have to find a way to deal with it. A clunky, kludgey fix is to include the link annotation in the tag structure, but hide it under a <Span> tag with a space character for Actual Text. Or, live with the error if that is an option. Sorry - that's the best I've got.

a 'C' student

• 4. Re: "Tagged Annotations - Failed" for links in footers
                VWu Level 1

Thank you so much a "C" student.