11 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 1:44 PM by Ann Bens

HD footage to DVD

Popcorn Media man

Hi there - This should be easy, but.....

I want to use HD footage to output to DVD, but need to be able to zoom into the footage (Up to 266%) which on paper is feasible, due to the difference in ratios. When i use a PAL DV setting for the project and zoom in, the footage goes off majorly, and when i export it to a file it changes size.

I hope this is a simple workflow thing rather than something that Elements cant handle.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: HD footage to DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which version of the program you're working in, and that can make a difference but...

Assuming you're working in version 14, when you select your project settings, you MUST check the option to force the settings or they will change once you add video to your timeline.

Also, BEFORE you add your HD video to your project, you must go to the Preferences (under the Edit menu on a PC) and UNCHECK the Scale to Frame Size option. Otherwise, your video will be artificially down-rezzed, which is not something you want if you plan to zoom in to it.

Finally, once you've created your zoom in to your HD footage, be sure to render the timeline by pressing Enter to make sure you're seeing a clear preview of what the final video output will look like.

If you've done all that and are still not happy with the results, please be specific what you mean when you say it "goes off majorly." We'll need to know what you're seeing in order to address it.

• 2. Re: HD footage to DVD
            Popcorn Media man Level 1

You - sir - are a LEGEND. I was ready to revert back to creating it all in After effects, and taking 5 weeks to do a 5 minute clip!

Yes - I'm using PE14 - the 2 steps above sorted my issues out - although i thought id have more zoom control than i do - it seems anything under 60% is too small for the image size, and i cant work out how big i can go.

Here's my thought process -

DVD ratio is 720 X 576 (Project)

HD ratio is 1920 X 1080 (Footage)

720 X 275% = 1980

1980 X 36.4 % = 720.72

So if my maths are correct, i can zoom in up to 275% and not loose any resolution from the original. HD copy - as the ideal is to use the camera to capture everything and then do a post edit for close-ups etc.

Does any of that make sense and work with PE14??

Thanks again.

Andy

• 3. Re: HD footage to DVD
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, that should work.

• 4. Re: HD footage to DVD

Just trying that - and, as you are so good at this, what is recommended as the best footage type etc for this? The current footage is AVCHD at 50fps, but the cameras will do loads more (Canon XA20's)

I'm thinking i should be able to do slo mo up to 200% without frame loss??

Thanks again - I owe you a coffee!!

• 5. Re: HD footage to DVD

OK - So at 100% it seems to work, but it then limits me to a zoom out of 60% before the image is too small.

If i zoom to 275% then the image is too pixelated.

Here is my screenshot - top left is at 100%, Bottom left is at 275% and the right is the original (All at original sizes)

image 1.png

Next up is to try 275% of 60% (Which i make 165%) , which seems a bizarre way of doing it, but....

Keep watching.....

• 6. Re: HD footage to DVD

OK - so cracked it....

I was using the 1920 frame size, rather than the 576 size of the PAL settings -

Therefore, 55% is full screen (576 X 0.55) so 100% is the same resolution in DVD as the original HD output.

So - my next question then is, what if I build the project in NTSC widescreen setting - does it make difference even though I'm in the UK?

Will that give me more pixels to play with?

I'll let you know.....

• 7. Re: HD footage to DVD

And the verdict - no - its best to stick to PAL - the image quality is better - is that because of the original footage being shot at 50fps rather than 29.97?

I feel i've learned so much today!!

• 8. Re: HD footage to DVD
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you are making a dvd I would set the camera to 1920x1080 interlaced 25 fps instead of 50p.

When exporting it will have to reduce the framerate to 25 and convert progressive into interlaced.

NTSC is not an option only when the source is ntsc.

• 9. Re: HD footage to DVD
                          DVD ratio is 720 X 576 (Project)

HD ratio is 1920 X 1080 (Footage)

720 X 275% = 1980

1980 X 36.4 % = 720.72

So if my maths are correct, i can zoom in up to 275% and not loose any resolution from the original. HD copy - as the ideal is to use the camera to capture everything and then do a post edit for close-ups etc.

Not quite.

dvd uses non square pixels opposite HD which use square pixels.

If you recalculate a PAL dvd widescreen to square pixels it will present itself as 1050x576.

As said before you have to turn off Default Scale to Frame Size in the Preferences before importing the footage.

When dropping the footage on the SD timeline it will be zoomed in and set at 100% in Applied Effects.

You can scale down the footage to about 50% before it takes on the same size as the SD timeline.

• 10. Re: HD footage to DVD

Hi Ann - thanks for this

So is AVCHD at 24Mps with a frame rate of 50.00i going to work? the only other option is PF25.00 which says it is 25.00 FPS, progressive. recorded as 50.00i

My option are

28Mbps 50.00p (LPCM or Dolby)

24Mbps (LPCM or Dolby)

17Mbps

i'm guessing the p is Progressive and best avoided?

Thanks

• 11. Re: HD footage to DVD

24 mbps in 50i is just fine.

But do test before actually changing settings in the camera.

Dont use PF25. its progressive recorded as interlaced which means both field are the same.