This content has been marked as final. Show 8 replies
If you're working on a shared drive, copying the project to your local machine should eliminate the problem.
Let us know if that's not the case.
No, I've got all the files on my machine.
with X5 you have to use separate folders for your projects. Each projects uses a file root.fpj in its root directory, which contains the information which folders and files are relevant for this project. You can not change the name of this root.fpj. Due to this, all projects access the same information from this file.
Thanks for your responses Rick and Dirk.
Trying to think of a succinct way to describe my project and why it's done the way it is ....
I have related software products, the parent product helpfile has hundreds of command topics. The related products use a substantial subset of the parent commands in addition to their specific commands. The way we've been doing this is to have a helpfile for each product, and include the appropriate topics from the parent in the table of contents for each product helpfile.
I don't use the merge table of contents into a master helpfile method, since not all the commands from the parent are applicable.
With earlier versions of RoboHelp this wasn't a problem. I went to X5 a couple of years ago, and discovered this problem. I know that I found a workaround last year, probably through a MacroMedia forum, but what I remembered doing (deleting the .cpd file and then reopening the .xpj) didn't work this time. Unfortunately I didn't make notes about anything else I did (this work is taken care of by a different dept. now and I didn't think I would be continuing with maintenance work --- silly me!).
Hope this gives more insight into my problem.
Well, after talking to another of the tech writers and doing some more research into some old emails, I found the workaround I used. When I delete the .xpj and .cpd files, then right-click on the .hhp file and select "Edit" I can open RoboHelp and display the correct list of topics. New .xpj and .cpd files are created.
Sorry to bother y'all, thanks again for your assistance.
Thank you very much for the link. Fortunately these are simple helpfiles (other than their sizes!) so anything lost is not a deal-breaker for me.